Due to a transformer fire and subsequent power outage on campus, the American University volleyball match between the Eagles and Loyola Maryland, scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 29, has been postponed. A makeup date is yet to be announced.
American's match with Navy, scheduled for 2 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 30, will be played as scheduled.
WASHINGTON – The American University volleyball team is back in Bender Arena this weekend to face a pair of matches that could set the tone for the early season standings in the Patriot League.
• The Eagles swept their opening matches to the PL schedule last weekend, winning 3-0 at Lafayette and at Bucknell.
• American hit a solid .381 in winning all six sets, allowing their opponents only a .035 percentage. AU also held a 19-7 edge in team blocks over the Leopards and Bison.
• Aleksandra Kazala had 27 kills in six sets, with Jasmine Ellison adding 11 in each match. Ellison now has four matches in double figures this season. Kazala now leads the PL in kills per set with 3.55.
• Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge also leads the PL in a category, averaging a league-best 9.67 assists per set.
• Junior libero Kristen Largay needs just 10 digs to move into fourth on the Eagles' career list. She comes into the weekend with 1,202.
SCOUTING NAVY (Sunday, 2:00 p.m.)
• Coming into the weekend, Navy and American sit atop the Patriot League standings, with each team at 2-0 in league play. The Midshipmen are 10-5 overall after winning three straight. Navy won 3-1 at Bucknell and 3-2 at Lehigh last weekend.
• Sophomore outside Maddi Sgattoni led Navy with 21 and 22 kills, respectively, against the Bison and Mountain Hawks, earning PL Player of the Week honors. She leads the Mids with a 3.35 kills-per-set average.
• Senior setter Patricia Mattingly averages 8.39 assists per set (3rd in PL), with senior libero Sydney Shearn leading in digs (4.09, 4th in PL).
• Navy was the lone team to defeat AU last season, as the Eagles went 15-1 in league play. American swept Navy, 3-0, in the Patriot League Championship match last season.
American continues its homestand next weekend with a pair of Patriot League matches. Holy Cross comes to Bender Arena on Friday, Oct. 5 at 7 p.m. before the Eagles play host to Colgate on Saturday at 4 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.