WASHINGTON, D.C. – Aleksandra Kazala had nine kills to lead the Eagles, but Buffalo swept a 25-19, 25-23, 25-14 victory over American University in the opening match of the American Volleyball Classic on Friday evening at Bender Arena.
The Eagles fell to 4-8 overall and will play twice on Saturday. AU hosts crosstown rival Howard at 11 a.m. and faces No. 5 Penn State at 7 p.m.
The Bulls, now 7-3, play twice in the tournament on Saturday, meeting Penn State at 1:30 and Howard at 4:30.
• Kazala led the Eagles offensively, with five of her nine kills coming in a tight second set. There were four ties and two lead changes in the middle set.
• American led 21-17 in the second set before the Bulls rallied. They ended the set on a four-point run that finished a 25-23 battle.
• Buffalo dominated the third set early, grabbing a 16-6 lead. Andrea Mitrovic had seven of her match-high 16 kills in the third set.
• The Bulls hit a strong .360 in earning the win, and setter Tia Gleason had 34 assists.
American begins the Patriot League portion of the schedule on the road next weekend, traveling to Lafayette on Friday evening at 7 p.m. and Bucknell on Saturday at 5 p.m.
The Eagles return home on Saturday, Sept. 29 to face Loyola Maryland at 4 p.m. and on Sunday, Sept. 30 for a 2 p.m. matinee with Navy.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.