Aug 25, 2019
SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Freshman Fisayo Iluyomade scored her first two collegiate goals to lead the American University women's soccer team over USC Upstate, 2-1, on Sunday afternoon.
- Sunday's win is the first time in program history the Eagles won its first two road games to begin the season. This is also the third time in program history, AU has started a season 2-0. The last time was in 1998 when AU won at Mount St. Mary's (2-0) and home to Iona (10-0). The first instance was in 1995 with home wins over Virginia Tech (2-0) and Mount St. Mary's (3-0).
- Iluyomade is the first AU rookie in four years to score multiple goals in a season.
- The last pair of AU freshmen to score more than one goal in a season were Audrey Denkler and JoJo Miller in 2015.
- Iluyomade is also the first AU freshman to score two goals in a game in over a decade.
- Sophomore Juliana Saling added her third assist of the season on Iluyomade's first goal, and junior Morgan Brinson added the assist on Iluyomade's second goal.
- Sailing leads the team in assists (3) and is second in points behind Iluyomade (4).
- Brinon's assist is her first collegiate point in 31 appearances for the Eagles.
- Senior Amy Krotine made three saves for her fourth collegiate victory.
- American outshot USC Upstate, 27-7.
- The Eagles will make their 2019 home debut on Wednesday against George Washington at 5 p.m
- AU will remain in the District for two more games against VMI on Aug 31 and Binghamton on Sept 6.
- American will honor its eight seniors and one team manager on Aug 31 against VMI. Among the seniors to be honored will be Kyanna Alleyne, Samm Francucci, Amy Krotine, Morgan Lang, Dara Magdaleno, Victoria Mattson, Charly Slavick, Tiffany Zukosky and team manager Dylan Wolfe.