Aug 26, 2018
BALTIMORE — Toni Williams scored the game-winning goal in the 88th minute to lift the American University women's soccer team to a 2-1 win over UMBC on Sunday afternoon.
- American allowed the first goal against for the first time this season when UMBC's Christina Corbi found the back of the net in the second minute of play.
- Senior Gabriela Maldonado tied the game for American in the fifth minute off a pass by classmate Audrey Denkler. Maldonado launched the shot from nearly 30 yards away near the sideline.
- Maldonado is tied for first in goals (3) with senior Yari Bradfield. Maldonado now has seven career goals - four with LSU and three with American.
- Audrey Denkler has a team-best four assists.
- Toni Williams broke the tie late in the contest with a goal from eight yards away. Denkler was credited with her second assist on a cross.
- Ryleigh Brown continues her unbeaten streak (3-0-1) with four saves.
- UMBC keeper Leah Roth made six saves.
- American will host Hampton on Wednesday at 5 p.m. AU is looking for its third straight home win.