WASHINGTON– Emma Vinall finished with six goals to lead American University, but a five-goal run in the opening seven minutes of the second half lifted George Mason to a 13-10 win over the Eagles in a women's lacrosse match played Wednesday at Jacobs Complex.
The Eagles fell to 1-3 on the season, while the Patriots evened their record at 2-2.
• Vinall, an Eagle sophomore, scored five of her goals in the first half, with three of those coming on free-position scores. She helped the Eagles take a 5-3 lead with 17:52 to play in the first half.
• Mason sophomore Erin Donoghue scored in the final two minutes of the first half to tie the game at 7-7 by halftime. She also finished with six goals in the game.
• The Patriots rallied to take as 12-7 edge in the opening 7:02 of the second half before Vinall stopped the streak.
• A pair of scores by Casey Harkins in the final four minutes brought AU back within 12-10, but Donoghue put the game on ice by scoring with 1:24 to play.
• Amanda Medjid also had two goals for the Eagles.
• Deanna Balsama had three goals and three assists for Mason.
• Mason held a 27-23 edge in shots and a 16-9 advantage in draw controls.
AU will be back home for a pair of games starting with a noon draw against Presbyterian on Saturday, March 2, followed by Howard at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 6. The Howard contest is a makeup date after the original game was postponed on Feb. 20 due to weather.
For the latest on American University Lacrosse, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Lacrosse.