WASHINGTON - The American University field hockey team closed its regular season on Sunday with a 4-1 loss to reigning NCAA Champion and No. 4-ranked UConn at home at Jacobs Complex.
The Eagles will enter next weekend's Patriot League Tournament with an 8-8 overall record (4-2 Patriot League). The Huskies, who closed their Big East schedule undefeated at 7-0 after a 4-1 win over Georgetown on Friday, now sit at 16-3 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Eagles opened the game strong, pressuring the Huskies' defensive line early before UConn regained momentum and put away a quick series of goals to take a 3-0 lead midway through the first half.
- An AU timeout broke up the Huskies' scoring run and the 3-0 score held until halftime.
- The Eagles had a couple of early looks in the second half as dangerous shots from sophomore Jette Dieckmann and senior Lucy Whalley forced UConn to call timeout. The Huskies scored their fourth goal two minutes later and added their fifth not long after.
- Sophomore Noor Coenen put the Eagles on the board in the 64th minute, chipping in a beautiful shot over the UConn goalkeeper from just off the baseline.
- The Huskies were led by a hat trick performance from Cecile Pieper. Svea Boker added UConn's other two goals along with two assists.
- AU trailed UConn in shots, 15-5, but drew even with the Huskies in penalty corners, 3-3.
- Senior goalkeeper Maura Jacobs tabbed her 200th career goal during the first half and walked away with six on the day to bring her career total up to 203.
The Eagles will travel to Boston University next weekend for the Patriot League Tournament. No. 2-seed American will face No. 3-seed Bucknell at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 2. The PL Championship game will be held at noon on Sunday, Nov. 4.
For the latest on American University Field Hockey, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_FieldHockey.