WASHINGTON – The American University field hockey team will open its 2018 season in style on Friday with the official opening of the renovated William I Jacobs Recreational Complex.
The Eagles will host Richmond at 1 p.m. on the returfed Jacobs field. A ribbon-cutting ceremony featuring a number of distinguished guests including American University President Sylvia Burwell will take place immediately before the start of the game.
- Series History: The Eagles are 15-18 against Richmond after overcoming the Spiders, 5-4, in overtime to open the 2017 season.
- In the Preseason: AU was predicted to finish second in the Patriot League during the conference's preseason poll with 66 total points and six first-place votes. Defending champion Boston University was ranked first with 68 total points (eight first-place votes).
- Rubas Back on Top: Senior Rafaela Rubas was selected as the Patriot League Preseason Offensive Player of the Year for the second consecutive season. The Vienna, Austria, native was voted as the league's 2017 Player of the Year after earning a career-high 32 points throughout the season.
- Preseason All-League: Senior Maura Jacobs and sophomore Noor Coenen also earned preseason honors as two of the 11 members of the PL's Preseason All-League Team.
- The Returners: AU brings back seven of its 11 starters from the 2017 season, including the two leading goal-scorers with Coenen (15) and Rubas (12). Other key returners include Jacobs and senior Rachel Stefano who both earned Second Team All-Patriot League honors last year.
- The New Nine: The Eagles welcomed the nine-player freshman class with Dani Acuna (Phoenixville, Pa.), Logan Beal (Severna Park, Md.), Georgia Davies (Ipswich, England), Hannah Duling (Silver Spring, Md.), Josie Formica (Severna Park, Md.), Bethany Fuquay (Chesterfield, Va.), Hannah Moser (Allentown, Pa.), Maura Phelan (Lehighton, Pa.), and Aidan Rossman (Beaverdam, Va.).
- Home Sweet Home: Jacobs Complex got a major facelift over the summer after renovations enhanced both the playing surface and overall fan experience. Read all about the upgrades here.
- Jennings' 20th: This season is particularly momentous for head coach Steve Jennings as he enters his 20th season at the helm of the program. One of the most successful coaches in American University history, Jennings has led the team to 10 Patriot League titles and 10 NCAA Tournament berths, including two Elite Eight appearances.
NO FOOD, DRINKS, OR PETS ON TURF
In order to protect and ensure the longevity of the new Jacobs Complex turf, please refrain from bringing food, drinks (except water), and pets onto the turf at all times. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
For the latest on AU Field Hockey, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_FieldHockey.