BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The American University women's basketball team stretched to a five-game win streak on Saturday, Jan. 19, after clinching the tight battle against Lehigh, 61-53.
The Eagles now rise to 9-8 overall, 5-1 in the Patriot League, while the Mountain Hawks fall to 11-6 overall and 3-3 in the league.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Elina Koskimies led the team with 20 points followed by freshman Emily Fisher with a career-high 15 points off the bench and senior Cecily Carl with a dozen.
- Freshman Jade Edwards led the team on the boards with seven rebounds while sophomore Indeya Sanders pitched in a career-high eight assists.
- The Eagles shot 43.8 percent from the field (21-48), 36.4 percent from the perimeter (8-22) and 78.6 percent from the free throw line (11-14).
- The Mountain Hawks had nine players contribute to their final score behind the team-high effort of Camryn Buhr who closed with 10 points.
- Cameryn Benz led the team with seven rebounds.
- Lehigh shot 34.0 percent from the field (18-53), 33.3 percent from three-point range (8-24) and 69.2 percent from the charity stripe (9-13).
- Lehigh held the advantage on the boards, 34-30, and points off the bench, 21-17, but the Eagles led in assists, 17-11, and points in the paint, 22-16.
- The Eagles gave up 19 turnovers - the most since Ohio (24) - while forcing 21 from Lehigh.
- Lehigh picked up the early advantage, leading the Eagles 6-3 until a pair of baskets from Edwards and Koskimies turned the tide in favor of AU at 7-6 with 7:00 left in the first quarter.
- The lead changed hands two more times before the Eagles hit an 8-0 run in the final 3:10 of the first quarter to pick up a 20-14 edge heading into the final stanza.
- The two teams traded baskets throughout the second quarter, but Lehigh's strong perimeter shooting throughout the stanza (4-7) kept the Eagles from building on their lead as the two teams entered the locker rooms at 35-28.
- Fisher led the way for AU in the second quarter, hitting eight points off 3-for-3 shooting from the field, 1-for-2 from beyond the arc, and 1-for-2 from the line.
- Lehigh began to close in on American in the third quarter, hitting a 10-3 run through the first 7:00 before Koskimies halted the run with her second trey of the day.
- The Mountain Hawks crept to within two by the end of the quarter after late fouls put Emma Grothaus and Megan Walker on the line to bring the score up to 46-44.
- Lehigh continued to threaten the Eagles in the early minutes of the fourth quarter before an 8-2 run rebuilt an eight-point AU lead at 59-51 with 24 seconds left on the clock.
- Late free throws from Koskimies and Fisher secured the 61-53 victory.
The Eagles will be back on the road next week for a trip to Boston University (Wednesday, Jan. 23) before coming home to host Lafayette at noon on Saturday, Jan. 26.
For the latest on American University Women's Basketball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_WBasketball.