PHILADELPHIA– Jack Mutchnik earned a third-period takedown and held on for a 3-2 decision in the final bout of the night to help American University beat host Drexel, 21-16, in an Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association dual wrestling match on Saturday.
Mutchnik's tight win in the 141-pound bout followed a first-period pin by Josh Terao in the previous bout that erased a deficit and pushed the Eagles ahead 18-16.
American improved to 3-4 overall and 3-2 against EIWA opponents with the victory.
• Michael Sprague got a late escape and riding-time point in the third period of the opening bout to score a 6-4 decision at 149.
• Kizhan Clarke followed with a 3-1 win at 157, with the difference coming on a third-period takedown that broke a tie.
• Drexel got bonus-point victories in the next two bouts to take a 10-6 lead before Tanner Harvey got three takedowns in an 8-3 victory at 184 that brought the Eagles back to 10-9.
• Gage Curry ended Drexel's rally with a 4-3 win at 125 that again came with a third-period takedown that erased a late deficit.
COACH MOORE SAID
"This was a total team effort tonight. We had matches that easily could have gone the other way if we don't dig deep and show the grit that we did. Jack Mutchnik, Josh Terao, and Michael Sprsgue showed leadership and heart tonight. I'm very proud of this team."
AMERICAN 21, DREXEL 16
149 – #31 Michael Sprague (AU) dec. Parker Kropman, 6-4 AU, 3-0
157 – Kizhan Clarke (AU) dec. Evan Barczak, 3-1 AU, 6-0
165 - #15 Ebed Jarrell (Drexel) pinned Elijah Murphy, 2:19 Tied, 6-6
174 – Bryan McLaughlin (Drexel) major dec. Conner Allshouse, 15-6 Drex, 10-6
184 – #27 Tanner Harvey (AU) dec. Anthony Walters, 8-3 Drex, 10-9
197 - #15 Stephen Loiseau (Drexel) dec. Prince Hyeamang, 7-2 Drex, 13-9
285 - #18 Joey Goodhart (Drexel) dec. Niko Camacho, 5-2 Drex, 16-9
125 – Gage Curry (AU) dec. Antonio Mininno, 4-3 Drex, 16-12
133 - #19 Josh Terao (AU) pinned Chandler Olson, 1:36 AU, 18-16
141 - #32 Jack Mutchnik (AU) dec. Nicholas Widmann, 3-2 AU, 21-16
Rankings are from NCAA coaches panel
Eagles now 3-4, 3-2 EIWA
Dragons now 4-6, 1-2 EIWA
EAGLES ALSO COMPETE AT MESSIAH OPEN
• Freshman Patrick Ryan won four matches to earn the 141-pound title on Saturday as American University sent a number of wrestlers to the Messiah Open. Ryan, now 13-3 overall this season, beat unattached wrestler Kyle Slendorn, 6-5, in the final.
• All eight Eagles who wrestled at the Messiah Open earned places.
• Sophomore Colin Shannon went 4-1 to finish second at 174 pounds. He had a pair of technical falls on his way to the final, where he lost to Drexel's Michael O'Malley.
• AU redshirt Tim Fitzpatrick was 3-1 at 165 to finish second, losing 3-1 in the final to Jackson Drum of York (Pa.) College.
• Benjamin Root won the fifth-place match at 165 with a 13-4 major decision over Eagle teammate Cole Painter. Root went 3-2 on the day, while Painter finished 3-3 to earn sixth.
• Abraham Correa-Medina won the fifth-place match with a 10-8 sudden-victory triumph over Camden Farrow of York College.
• James Giaccia was 4-2 at 141 pounds to finish seventh.
• Bryce Dempsey went 3-3 to finish eighth at 165 pounds, winning three matches with pins along the way.
The Eagles travel to Bucknell on Feb. 8 at Navy on Feb. 14 before returning home for their final two dual matches of the season. American plays host to George Mason on Friday, Feb. 15 and hosts Senior Night on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. against Old Dominion.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
AU Athletics has extended its offer for two free tickets to all federal government workers for the remainder of the winter-sport seasons.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
For more information and complete details, contact the AU Athletics Ticket Office at 202-885-TIXX.
To purchase tickets and view full schedules click here!
Tickets to all home duals for the 2019 season are on sale now.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).