LARAMIE, Wyo.– Jack Mutchnik finished the day with a pin and joined Kizhan Clarke as American University wrestlers with a pair of victories, as the Eagles battled in three dual matches Friday at the Cowboy Shootout, hosted by the University of Wyoming.
American, which was opening its dual-match season, lost to Army West Point, 21-13, lost to No. 13 North Carolina, 31-3 and to the 24th-ranked Cowboys, 25-14.
• A 6-0 win by Michael Sprague (149) and a 13-4 major decision from Clarke at 157 gave the Eagles an early 7-0 lead over Army West Point. Clarke scored seven points in the third period, including a reversal and two takedowns to claim the bonus-point win.
• Army, which had three ranked wrestlers in the lineup, then won four straight before AU heavyweight Niko Camacho edged Ben Sullivan, 3-2, to bring AU within 15-10.
• Following two more Eagle losses, Mutchnik finished the dual with a 3-1 sudden-victory win over Corey Shie, his sixth overtime victory of the season.
• Anthony Wokasch scored AU's lone individual win against the Tar Heels. He got a late takedown in the first period to tie the bout at 4-4, rode his opponent through the second period and got an escape and riding time to win 6-4.
• Clarke led 4-2 and 6-3 after the first two periods at 157 against Wyoming's Jed Loveless, then extended his lead with a late reversal in the third. His win tied the match score at 3-3.
• Wyoming, also sporting three ranked wrestlers, then reeled off six straight victories before AU's Gage Curry got a technical fall at 125. Curry got a four-point near fall in the first period and two more in the second period to earn an 18-1 win in 4:45.
• Mutchnik ended the day with a pin in 2:34 over Mark McConnell. It was the first pin of the season for the Eagle senior and gave him the team lead in victories with 17.
COACH TEAGUE MOORE SAID
"Kizhan continues to improve and showed leadership with his wrestling style and judgment. Jack battled long and hard for his victories. As a group we've got some work to do."
ARMY WEST POINT 21, AMERICAN 13
149 – Michael Sprague (AU) dec. Beau Guffey, 6-0 AU, 3-0
157 – Kizhan Clarke (AU) major dec. Markus Hartman, 13-4 AU, 7-0
165 – Cael McCormick (Army) dec. Anthony Wokasch, 7-3 AU, 7-3
174 – No. 12 Ben Harvey (Army) major dec. Colin Shannon, 11-2 Tied, 7-7
184 – No. 19 Noah Stewart (Army) dec. Tanner Harvey, 7-4 Army, 10-7
197 – No. 6 Rocco Caywood (Army) TF Abraham Correa-Medina, 17-0 (5:43) Army, 15-7
285 – Niko Camacho (AU) dec. Ben Sullivan, 3-2 Army, 15-10
125 – Trey Chalifoux (Army) dec. Gage Curry, 5-2 Army, 18-10
133 – Lane Peters (Army) dec. No. 16 Josh Terao, 3-2 Army, 21-10
141 – Jack Mutchnik (AU) dec. Corey Shie, 3-1 (SV-1) Army, 21-13
NO. 13 NORTH CAROLINA 31, AMERICAN 3
149 – No. 5 Austin O'Connor (UNC) dec. Michael Sprague, 7-3 UNC, 3-0
157 – Joshua McClure (UNC) dec. Kizhan Clarke, 5-3 UNC, 6-0
165 – Anthony Wokasch (AU) dec. Sawyer Davidson, 6-4 UNC, 6-3
174 – Devin Kane (UNC) dec. Colin Shannon, 7-5 UNC, 9-3
184 – No. 11 Chip Ness (UNC) major dec. Tanner Harvey, 17-5 UNC, 13-3
197 – Chasen Blair (UNC) pinned Abraham Correa-Medina, 3:47 UNC, 19-3
285 – No. 15 Cory Daniel (UNC) dec. Niko Camacho, 6-0 UNC, 22-3
125 – Josepth Heilmann (UNC) dec. Gage Curry, 4-1 UNC, 25-3
133 – Gary Harding (UNC) dec. No. 16 Josh Terao, 5-2 UNC, 28-3
141 – Austin Headlee (UNC) dec. Jack Mutchnik, 3-2 UNC, 31-3
NO. 24 WYOMING 25, AMERICAN 14
149 – Jaron Jensen (Wyo) dec. Michael Sprague, 4-2 (SV-1) Wyo, 3-0
157 – Kizhan Clarke (AU) dec. Jed Loveless, 8-5 Tied, 3-3
165 – No. 9 Brandon Ashworth (Wyo) major dec. Anthony Wokasch, 12-3 Wyo, 7-3
174 – Anthony Lombardo (Wyo) tech. fall Colin Shannon, 16-0 (2:32) Wyo, 12-3
184 – Tate Samuelson (Wyo) dec. Tanner Harvey, 4-2 Wyo, 15-3
197 – Cale Davidson (Wyo) major dec. Abraham Correa-Medina, 15-1 Wyo, 19-3
285 – No. 20 Brian Andrews (Wyo) dec. Niko Camacho, 2-0 Wyo, 22-3
125 – Gage Curry (AU) tech. fall Brock George, 18-1 (4:45) Wyo, 22-8
133 – No. 12 Montorie Bridges (Wyo) dec. No. 16 Josh Terao, 3-2 Wyo, 25-8
141 – Jack Mutchnik (AU) pinned Mark McConnell, 2:34 Wyo, 25-14
All rankings from IntermatWrestle.com
The Eagles' first home event of the season is on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. in a dual match against Columbia. American wrestles the next day in a Sunday matinee at noon against Hofstra.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
Due to the current federal government shutdown, AU Athletics has announced that throughout the month of January, all federal government workers may receive two free tickets to home athletic events at American University - including upcoming men's basketball, women's basketball and wrestling events in Bender Arena.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
For more information and complete details, contact the AU Athletics Ticket Office at 202-885-TIXX. To purchase tickets and view full schedules click here!
WRESTLING SEASON TICKETS
Tickets to all five home duals for the 2018-19 season are on sale now.
- SAVE BIG (OVER 20% OFF) - Attend all 5 home duals by purchasing season tickets…
- Adult- General Admission: $30.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $15.00
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org call 202.885.TIXX (8499).