LARAMIE, Wyo. – Josh Terao will seek to continue his fast start to the wrestling season on Friday as American University opens the dual-meet part of its schedule at the Cowboy Shootout.
The Eagles open their day with Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association rival Army West Point at 6:30 p.m. EST. They will face 15th-ranked North Carolina at 8 p.m. before ending a long day against No. 13 Wyoming at 9:30 p.m.
Video will be available for subscribers on FloWrestling.com, with live results available at TrackWrestling.com.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
• After missing the early part of the season while recovering from off-season surgery, Terao has returned with a strong performance. He is 12-1 this season, with seven technical falls, three pins and a major decision. His only loss came in overtime.
• Terao, a senior from Honolulu, Hawaii, is the Eagles' lone ranked wrestler so far this season, listed as high as 15th in the nation at 133 pounds by Wrestler Insider magazine.
• Senior Jack Mutchnik (149) and sophomore Tanner Harvey (184) are tied for the team lead with 15 victories, while sophomore Kizhan Clarke is 14-6 despite having moved up to 157 pounds after winning the Wilkes Open.
SCOUTING THE BLACK KNIGHTS
• Army West Point beat EIWA opponent Drexel, 29-5, in its season-opening dual match.
• The Black Knights finished eighth in the team standings at the Midlands Championships last weekend, where No. 4 Rocco Caywood (197) led Army with a fourth-place individual finish.
• Three Black Knights are ranked, including Lucas Weiland (16th at 157) and Ben Harvey (11th at 174).
SCOUTING THE TAR HEELS
• North Carolina went 2-2 at the South Beach Duals, including wins over No. 20 Lehigh and No. 21 North Dakota State and losses to Big Ten foes Indiana and Minnesota.
• Austin O'Conner is ranked 5th at 141, with Chip Ness listed 11th at 184 pounds.
• UNC, now 5-3 this season, also owns a win over Arizona State this fall, with the Sun Devils ranked eighth at the time.
SCOUTING THE COWBOYS
• Wyoming is 6-3 in duals, going 3-1 at the South Beach Duals. The Cowboys pulled off an upset of No. 4 NC State at that tournament.
• Heavyweight Brian Andrews leads Wyoming with 20 wins and is one of six Cowboys who carry national rankings.
• Branson Ashworth is 19-3 at 165 pounds and is 19-3 so far this season.
The Eagles' first home event of the season is on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. in a dual match against Columbia. American wrestles the next day in a Sunday matinee at noon against Hofstra.
WRESTLING SEASON TICKETS
Tickets to all five home duals for the 2018-19 season are on sale now.
- SAVE BIG (OVER 20% OFF) - Attend all 5 home duals by purchasing season tickets…
- Adult- General Admission: $30.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $15.00
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail email@example.com call 202.885.TIXX (8499).