WILKES-BARRE, Pa.– Kizhan Clarke won the 157-pound division to lead four American University place-winners Saturday at the 86th Wilkes Open wrestling tournament.
• Clarke won all four of his bouts with decisions. After opening with a 6-2 win over Matt Grippi of NC State, he used a four-point third period to beat Emmett Licastri of Franklin & Marshall, 4-1, to win his quarterfinal. He again rallied late to beat Bloomsburg's Alex Carida, extending a 3-2 lead with a takedown with 39 seconds left and winning the semifinal 6-2.
• Clarke beat Brian Meyer of Lehigh, 4-1, in the championship. Following a scoreless two periods, he got an escape, then a takedown with 27 seconds left.
• Camacho began his day with a pair of pins, stopping Mike Leyland of Wyosem Prep in 2:47 and Esposito Alexander of Rutgers in 4:43. He lost to Christian Colucci of Rutgers, 3-0 in the semifinal before losing, 7-4, in the third-place match to Victor Lacombe of Lehigh.
• Allshouse won his first-round match by default, but lost in the quarterfinals. He scored a 13-1 major decision over Brandon Belfonti of Wilkes, then beat teammate Colin Shannon, 7-4. In the fifth-place match, he defeated Anthony of Bloomsburg, 6-1, extending a 3-0 lead with a third-period takedown and riding-time point.
• Shannon won twice at 174, including a 6:12 pin over Paul Dunn of Lehigh.
• Fitzpatrick advanced to the quarterfinals at 165 with a pair of victories – getting a 7-5 win over Joe Eiden of Sacred Heart and a 16-12 win over Anthony Snyder of Delaware Valley. After losing the quarterfinal, he pinned teammate Bryce Dempsey in 6:33 and beat Eiden again, 7-2, before losing in the fifth-place match.
• Dempsey won two bouts with pins on his trip through the 165 bracket. He pinned Will Schmidt of Sacred Heart in 2:45, then dropped Conor Panzarella of Roger Williams in 1:44.
After the holiday break, American will travel to Wyoming to face dual matches against the host Cowboys, North Carolina and Army West Point.
The Eagles' first home event of the season is on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. in a dual match against Columbia. American wrestles the next day in a Sunday matinee at noon against Hofstra.
WRESTLING SEASON TICKETS
Tickets to all five home duals for the 2018-19 season are on sale now.
- SAVE BIG (OVER 20% OFF) - Attend all 5 home duals by purchasing season tickets…
- Adult- General Admission: $30.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $15.00
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org call 202.885.TIXX (8499).