Sep 12, 2019
WASHINGTON — The American University men's soccer team heads to the Bay Area and Silicon Valley for a pair of games this weekend against Califonia and Stanford.
- Sophomore Malachy McGovern leads the Eagles with one goal and two points this season.
- Junior Jake Agnew is seeking his first win as an AU keeper but has held opponents to a 1.78 goals against average.
- Seniors Tim Neumann and Fabio Massaro each recorded an assist on McGovern's goal against George Mason.
- The Golden Bears enter Friday's contest with a 2-0-1 mark and are receiving votes in the latest United Soccer Coaches rankings.
- Thomas Williamson leads Cal with two goals this season and is tied with Alonzo Del Mundo with the team lead in points with four.
- Del Mundo had three assists in Cal's road win at Santa Barbara last week.
- Cal has used two keepers this season with Drake Callender securing both wins while Noah Texter allowed one goal in a tie with UC Irvine.
- The Cardinal host Denver on Friday before the visitors switch opponents for Sunday. entering the weekend, Standford is 3-0 with wins over Penn State, an upset over then-No. 3 Akron and UC Irvine.
- Stanford enters the weekend ranked third in the nation after the win over Akron in a top-five showdown.
- Tanner Beason and Zach Ryan each have a pair of goals for the Cardinal.
- Matt Frank and Andrew Thomas have shared time in goal for Stanford this season with Thomas picking up two of the three wins.
- American will return to Reeves Field to start Patriot League play against Lehigh on Saturday, Sept. 21 at 2 p.m.
- American will honor the 40th Anniversary of the 1979 team that reached the NCAA Quarterfinals.
- The PL Opener will also serve as Doug Dugan Day. Please register HERE to be part of the Doug Dugan Excellence Award reception at the conclusion of the contest.
- To purchase tickets for American men's soccer online, please visit AUEagles.com/Tickets