Sep 21, 2018
WASHINGTON — After a 2-2 tie with No. 20 Portland last Sunday, the American University men's soccer team used the week to train hard for Patriot League play which starts on Saturday at Boston University.
- Snap It — American is looking to snap a five-game unbeaten streak and a 0-3-1 record on the road this season. American has not won a game since the season-opener against George Mason on Aug. 24.
- Northwest Weekend — Although AU did not come back to D.C. with a win, AU finished 0-1-1 against Oregon State and No. 20 Portland. Against the Beavers, AU trailed 3-0 until a pair of goals late in the contest cut the deficit. In Sunday's card-heavy match at Portland, American played a man-down for the final 45 minutes and held its own against the nationally-ranked Pilots.
- No Siesta for Lucas – Junior keeper Lucas Manso has played 535 of the 580 minutes in goal this season for the Eagles. Manso has seen his share of tough obstacles but her overcome them multiple times. His best performance of the season was against Portland where he made seven saves. Manso has made seven or more saves three times this season with a 2.86 goals against average.
- Fresh Faces Light the Flares — All four goal scorers this season are fresh faces to the AU offense. Yes, players like Jerry Zouantcha, Brenner Jarrard and Matt O'Connell did play a significant role last season for the Eagles in developmental spots. This season, the three sophomores and junior-transfer Fabio Massaro have each scored for the Eagles. Massaro leads the group with three goals while Jarrad and Zounatcha each have two tallies. O'Connell scored his first at Oregon State.
- Light the Flame — American University has added a nonconference game to the schedule as Liberty will come to Reeves Field on Tuesday, Oct. 16 at noon. With the cancelation of the AU-Gardner-Webb contest due to rain two weekends ago, AU was in need of a final out-of-league game.
- Scouting BU — The Terriers were picked to finish second in the Patriot League Preseason Poll, but have struggled in the nonleague season with a 1-4-2 record. BU's lone victory was a 3-2 win over UMass on Sept. 7. Matt McDonnell has turned heads heading into league play with six goals and 12 points. Toti Knutsson leads the team with three assists. Head coach Neil Roberts has split time in goal with Mike Bernardi and William Bonnelyche. Bernardi has yet to win a contest but played well last season against the Eagles.