WASHINGTON — Sa'eed Nelson nearly broke a 40-year record coming one rebound shy of a triple-double to propel the American University men's basketball team over Army West Point on Saturday afternoon, 71-68.
- With the win, American is 13-10 overall and 7-5 in the Patriot League. American has more total wins since the 2014-15 season and Patriot League wins since 2015-16.
- Nelson finished the contest with 11 points, 11 assists and nine rebounds. He completed the double-double (points and assists) with 10:34 left to play and needed one more rebound to complete the feat. He added one more assist a minute later but was held off the stat sheet the rest of the way.
- Leading 59-47 with 10:34 left to play, Army outscored American 19-12 the rest of the way and had a chance to send the game to overtime but a missed 3-pointer by John Emenzie as time expired sealed the contest for the Eagles.
- Jacob Boonyasith had a season-best 20 points and is the first AU rookie to score 20 or more points since Sam Iorio had 28 points at Lafayette on Feb. 17, 2018. Boonyasith shot 8 of 11 from the field, connecting on all seven 2-point baskets. He pushed American's lead to three on a heavily defended baseline layup with 48 seconds remaining. The reining PL Rookie of the Week also had five rebounds, two assists and one block in 30 minutes.
- Mark Gasperini had 11 points and four rebounds in 22 minutes.
- Stacy Beckton Jr. scored in double figures for the sixth time in seven games with 15 points and seven rebounds in 40 minutes.
- American — the best 3-point defense in the Patriot League and top 10 nationally — held Army West Point without a made 3-pointer (0-16) for the first time in 285 games, a streak that began against Dartmouth on Dec. 19, 2009.
- Matt Wilson led the Black Knights with 14 points. Aaron Duhart had 11 points off the bench.
- American is 2-5 overall and 1-3 (PL) when trailing at the break. The Eagles are 7-3 following a loss.
- Members of the 10th anniversary 2008-09 Patriot League Championship team were honored during a media timeout during the contest and had a chance to meet the current team after the game.
- AU hosts Loyola Maryland on Wednesday. The game will be seen live on Stadium.
- Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets.
- Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID. Bring a group and save up to 50% off on end zone reserved seating.
- AU has extended its free two tickets offer for Federal Government workers through the men's and women's basketball and wrestling regular seasons.
- February 3-Pack: For $50 you will receive three sideline seats to any three games during the month.
- AU fans and alumni receive a special 10% discount off any order now through Thursday, Feb. 14. Call 301.986.0986 and mention "AU Athletics" or visit www.ChevyChaseFlorist.com and use coupon code "GoAU" to receive your discount.
@AU_MBasketball Postgame Highlights vs. Army West Point (2/8/19)
Jacob Boonyasith led the Eagles with a season-best 20 points on 8-of-11 from the field. Sa'eed Nelson was a rebound short of AU's first triple-double in 40 years. Nelson had 11 points, 11 assists and nine rebounds. pic.twitter.com/PUv7mmaxD9
— American U. Men's Basketball (@AU_MBasketball) February 10, 2019