Game 23 · Army West Point (11-13, 6-5 PL) at American (12-10, 6-5 PL)
Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019 · 2 p.m. · Washington, D.C. (Bender Arena)
All-Time Record: American leads, 27-14
TV: NBC Sports Washington, Armed Forces Network
Stream: Patriot League Network on Stadium
Talent: Dan Laing (pxp), David Aldridge (analyst), Chloe Pavlech (sideline)
WASHINGTON — The American University men's basketball team hosts Army West Point on Saturday afternoon at Bender Arena.
The Eagles will also honor the incoming class of the Stafford H. "Pop" Cassell Hall of Fame members — Volleyball head coach Barry Goldberg, men's basketball player Andre Ingram, two-time Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year Camila Infante and her two-time Defensive Player of the Year sister, Denise Infante.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sa'eed Nelson had one of the best second-half performances with 21 of his 24 points in the final 20 minutes after picking up early foul trouble. Nelson also had nine rebounds and six assists.
- Stacy Beckton Jr. added 15 points for the Eagles having shifted to a four guard system by Coach Brennan. Beckton Jr. was the lone Eagle to connect on more than one 3-pointer.
- Minus Sam Iorio and Marvin Bragg, American found a way to outrebound the Midshipmen (37-36) and score 46 points in the paint — tied for second-best performance inside the paint this season.
SCOUTING THE BLACK KNIGHTS
- Matt Wilson leads the Black Knights in scoring (13.5) and rebounding (8.6). Wilson has not reached double figures in his last three games with one point against Colgate and nine points against Lehigh and Holy Cross. Wilson has scored 20 or more points five times this season.
- Tommy Funk is second in scoring (11.8) and first in assists (6.2). However, Funk like Wilson has struggled with single-digit scoring in three of the last four games.
- Army West Point only has two players averaging in double figures, but head coach Jimmy Allen has many arsenals to choose from. Jordan Fox and Alex King along with Lonnie Grayson, Josh Caldwell and Cayne Edwards have each led the Black Knights in single-game scoring.
- AU hosts Loyola Maryland on Wednesday. The game will be seen live on Stadium.
- Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets.
- Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID. Bring a group and save up to 50% off on end zone reserved seating.
- AU has extended its free two tickets offer for Federal Government workers through the men's and women's basketball and wrestling regular seasons.
- February 3-Pack: For $50 you will receive three sideline seats to any three games during the month.
- AU fans and alumni receive a special 10% discount off any order now through Thursday, Feb. 14. Call 301.986.0986 and mention "AU Athletics" or visit www.ChevyChaseFlorist.com and use coupon code "GoAU" to receive your discount.