Game 9 · Mount St. Mary's (1-9, 0-0 NEC) at American (5-3, 0-0 PL)
Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2018 · 7 p.m. · Washington, D.C. (Bender Arena)
All-Time Record: American leads, 15-6
Stream: Patriot League Network on Watch Stadium
Talent: Dan Laing (pxp), Jeremy Huber (Analyst), Hannah Wohlfahrt (Sideline)
Game Notes: American | Mount St. Mary's
WASHINGTON — After a week off, the American University men's basketball team hosts Mount St. Mary's on Tuesday evening at Bender Arena.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sam Iorio built off a hot-shooting performance against Saint Francis (Pa.) with a 24-point game at Howard last Saturday.
- American hit 19 free throws and shot 91 percent from the charity stripe against the Bison. Against VMI, American hit 21 free throws. In the past four games, AU has connected on 77 of 109 (70.6).
- American has posted 20-plus assists in the last two games. AU had 26 assists against Saint Francis and 21 against Howard.
- Sa'eed Nelson finished with 23 points and made a career-best 13 of 14 from the free throw line. His previous best was nine free made free throws during the Patriot League First Round last season at Lafayette.
SCOUTING THE MOUNTAINEERS
- The Mount secured its first win of the season on Saturday against Division 3 member Wilson, 74-59. The Mountaineers trailed by as many as seven in the first half but pulled away late in the contest. Wilson trailed by as little as three (55-52) with 6:40 remaining. The Mount finished the game on a 19-7 run.
- Jalen Gibbs leads the Mountaineers with 17.2 points per game. He is second on the team in rebounds (5.8) and assists (22). He scored a season-best 30 points against Wilson.
- Vado Morse is second on the team and the only other Mountaineer averaging double figures (10.6). Morse has 17 points at North Carolina A&T.
IF I HAD A DIME FOR EVERYTIME …
- American is 6-3 under Coach Brennan when recording 20-plus assists in a single game and 1-3 in the previous four games.
- The Eagles are 1-1 this season after completing the task in the last two games (Saint Francis and Howard).
- The 25 assists against the Red Flash were the most under Coach Brennan.
- Sa'eed Nelson and Pee Wee Gardner are the only two players under Coach Brennan to achieve double figures in assists. Nelson's 12 against Saint Francis (12/4/18) was the highest under Brennan. Gardner had 11 assists twice, both against Lehigh at Stabler Arena (1/15/14 and 3/5/15).
BYE BYE BYE
- Exiting the Fall Finals Week, or as it's better known in football as the "bye week", American is 2-3 under Coach Brennan during his first five seasons.
- American is 1-2 in the games following the bye when the first game back is played at Bender Arena. The lone win came against Maryland Eastern Shore on Dec. 19, 2016.
TIME LIFE — THE BEST OF THE 70s AND 80s
- American is 23-10 under the Brennan era when scoring 70-plus points in a single game.
- When American scores 80-plus points, the Eagles are 11-4.
- This season, AU is 4-1 defeating George Mason, UMBC, VMI and Saint Francis.
- The Eagles won their first 13 games under Brennan when scoring over 70 points, going unbeaten until the 2016 season.
IORIO'S CAREER-BEST LEADS TO PL WEEKLY HONOR
- Iorio was also honored by the Patriot League with the men's basketball Player of Week Award.
- This is Iorio's third career Patriot League weekly honor and the first player of the week. He was the Rookie of the Week twice during the 2017-18 season.
- Iorio averaged 28.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists during a 1-1 week for the Eagles, including a career-high 33 points in a victory over St. Francis (Pa.) on Tuesday.
- Iorio shot 7 of 10 from the outside and had half of American's first-half output with 24 of the Eagles' 50 points at the break.
- The Eagles will host Maryland Eastern Shore on Saturday afternoon.
Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets.
Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID. Bring a group and save up to 50% off on end zone reserved seating.