Game #19 • Lafayette (4-14, 2-5 PL) at American (5-13, 2-5 PL)
Sat., Jan. 20, 2018 • 2 p.m. ET • Washington, D.C. • Bender Arena (3,500)
TV: NBC Sports Washington, NBC Sports Philadelphia + (Tape Delay)
STREAM: Patriot League Network on Stadium
— Al Koken (PXP), John Feinstein (Color), Dan Laing (Sideline), Megan O'Keefe (Sideline)
Live Stats: AUEagles.com
News, Notes, and Storylines
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sam Iorio set a season-best 26 points along with seven rebounds, six steals and four assists in 34 minutes.
- Sa'eed Nelson had 18 points with five assists and four steals and shot 7 of 10 from the field.
- Marvin Bragg continues to improve with nine points and six rebounds in 34 minutes.
- James Washington had seven points off the bench in 22 minutes.
- American shot 50 percent from the field and the outside in the second half after missing seven of nine from 3-point range.
SCOUTING THE LEOPARDS
- Matt Klinewski leads Lafayette in both points (18.0) and rebounds (5.8) per game. The senior is shooting 52 percent from the field and 81 percent from the free throw line.
- The battle of the top PL rookies will be on display Saturday with Sam Iorio and Alex Petrie. Petrie is second on the team with 12.6 points per game and leads PL freshmen in scoring.
- Justin Jaworski is third in scoring (10.5) for the Leopards and had a season-best 24 points in a one-point loss to Drexel.
- Lafayette dropped its last game to Navy on a buzzer-beater, but Paulius Zalys had a team-high 25 points.
LAST TIME OUT: The Terriers led 24-16 after a 3-pointer by Will Goff with 7:26 remaining in the half. From the point on, American's defense stopped the Terriers until a minute into the second into the second half. AU led 29-24 lead at intermission with Iorio leading the way with nine points. American unleashed its deep fury in the second half and broke a 41-all score with three straight 3-pointers by Nelson, Bragg and Iorio to put AU ahead by nine with 8:39 left. Boston closed to 57-51 with 2:38 to play but a pair of Iorio 3-pointers in the stretch helped preserve the Eagles' advantage.
PRIME TIME PLAYER: Sam Iorio hit a new best with 26 points, seven rebounds, six steals and four assists in 34 minutes. Iorio shot 9 of 20 from the field and 5 of 10 from the outside.
TWO-FACE (THE HERO): American played well on both sides of the court against Boston U. The Eagles secured 15 steals and two blocks on the defensive end. Five players recorded a steal with Sam Iorio picking up a team-best six steals and Sa'eed Nelson had four. American had eight offensive rebounds with 10 second chance points.
#AUMBB CELL PHONE BILL IS HIGH: Since Patriot League started, American has connected on 60 of 160 from the outside for an average of 8.6 made 3-pointer per game. Sam Iorio leads with 16 made triples in PL play. Eight players have connected from the outside in the six league games.
CALI SWAG: Against Boston University, James Washington had seven points, three rebounds, two assists and one steal in 22 minutes off the bench. Washington stepped up on the defensive side of the ball and made multiple stops that lead to Terrier turnovers.