Game #15 • Army West Point (8-6, 1-2 PL) at American (3-11, 0-3 PL)
Mon., Jan. 8, 2018 • 7 p.m. ET • Washington, D.C. • Bender Arena (3,500)
Stream: Patriot League Network
— Dan Laing (PXP), Jeremy Huber (Analyst), Hannah Wohlfahrt (Sideline)
News, Notes, and Storylines
WEATHER UPDATE: Monday night's contest between American and Army West Point will still be played at 7 p.m.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sa'eed Nelson led the Eagles with 18 points and eight assists in 37 minutes.
- Sam Iorio picked up his second straight double-double against Navy on Friday. Iorio had 14 points and 13 rebounds.
- Larry Motuzis finished with 13 points on 3 of 7 from the outside.
- Marvin Bragg and Stacy Beckton Jr. each finished with eight points off the bench for the Eagles.
- American finished with 16 points off the bench. This is the second most bench points since 17 in a win over Howard.
SCOUTING THE BLACK KNIGHTS
- Jordan Fox leads the Black Knights in scoring with 15.4 points per game. Fox has a career-best 33 points at Marist when hit nailed nine 3-pointers.
- Matt Wilson is second on the team in points and is the most consistent with 10 double figures games this season. He recorded back-to-back double-doubles against Columbia and Niagara.
- Tommy Funk leads the Patriot League in assists with 91 and is fourth in team scoring at 10.5 points per game. He recorded a double-double with 16 points and 10 assists at Marist.
- Alex King (10.6 PPG) and Tucker Blackwell (7.6 PPG) are the top rookies for the Black Knights this season.
LAST TIME OUT: Navy led by as many as 17, but the Eagles battled back to get the contest within a single-possession (58-55) with 5:29 left. However, Navy went on an 8-0 run and took an 11-point lead with two minutes left in the contest. The Eagles scored nine of the next 10 points to make it 67-64 with 24 seconds left.
VOTE FOR SAM: Sam Iorio completed back-to-back double-doubles this week with 18 points and 10 rebounds against Colgate followed by 14 points and season-best 13 rebounds at Navy. The last time an Eagles had back-to-back double-doubles was in 2014 when Tony Wroblicky had 12 points and 11 rebounds at Colgate and then 15 points and 12 rebounds at Lehigh. Not since Stephen Lumpkins in 2013, has an Eagles had three consecutive double-doubles.
TOP ROOKIE IN THE PL: Despite not getting voted PL Rookie of the Week this season, Sam Iorio leads all PL rookie scorers with 17.3 points in league-only games and is seventh among all players. He is second in rebounds 9.7, 2nd in minutes played (37.0), 4th in free throw percentage (76.9), 15th in field goal percentage (47.4) and 15th in 3-point field goals per game (2.0).
BENCH HELPS IN TOUGH GAME: Marvin Bragg and Stacy Beckton Jr. each finished with eight points at Navy. The duo shot 4 of 8 from the outside with Bragg pulling down three rebounds and three assists. Since joining the rotation at Marquette, Beckton Jr. has developed as a reliable source on both ends of the court for coach Brennan.