Game #7 • American (2-4) at Maryland Eastern Shore (2-5)
Sat., Dec. 2, 2017 • 4 p.m.ET • Princess Anne, Md. • Hytche Center (5,500)
All-Time Record: American 4-3
Live Stats: EasternShoreHawks.com
News, Notes, and Storylines
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sa'eed Nelson scored 18 of his 24 points in the second half at Saint Francis on Wednesday. Nelson added nine assists in 39 minutes.
- Larry Motuzis had the hot hand in the final period with 14 of his 23 points on 4 of 6 from the field and 5 of 6 from the line.
- Cheikh 'CB' Diallo was the third wing on the offensive side with 20 points on 4 of 8 from the outside.
- American did a good job controlling its dribble at Saint Francis while distributing a season-best 21 assists. The Eagles finished the game with a 1.75 assist/turnover ratio, led by Nelson's nine dimes. All five starters had at least one assist with five players having two or more helpers.
SCOUTING THE HAWKS
- The Shore return two players from last seasons game against American — Logan McIntosh and Tyler Jones.
- Four players are scoring in double figures — Miryane Thomas (12.0), Tyler Jones (10.6), Ahmad Frost (10.4), Cameron Bacote (10.1).
- The Shore has failed to reach 50 points three of the seven games this season. The season-low came against Maryland on Nov. 12.
- The Shore was picked to finish sixth in the MEAC Preseason Poll after a 9-7 league campaign in 2016-17.
- The Shore is 0-5 when trailing at the half and winless in games trailing at the five-minute mark of the second half.
LAST TIME OUT: American trailed 52-39 at the break after the Red Flash used a 12-0 run and took a 38-19 lead 6:41 left in the frame. The Eagles raced back in the second half and used its own 13-0 run to cut the deficit at 76-69 with a 3-pointer by Motuzis at 7:44. However, a tip-in by Saint Francis' Andre Wolford with 2:31 left sealed the 100-89 contest for the Red Flash.
#AUMBB TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: During the Mike Brennan era, the Eagles have had seven occasions where two players scored 20 or more points each. This season is the first time that two players have done it in back-to-back games. Sa'eed Nelson and Jesse Reed have been part of the three duos to reach the feat.
Army (1/25/14) John Schoof - 22; Jesse Reed - 20
Lafayette (2/14/15) John Schoof - 23; Pee Wee Gardner - 20
Lafayette (1/20/16) Delante Jones - 23; Jesse Reed - 23
Navy (2/24/16) Delante Jones - 20; Jesse Reed - 21
Lafayette (2/15/17) Sa'eed Nelson - 20; Mark Gasperini - 20
UNH (11/21/17) Sa'eed Nelson - 26; Larry Motuzis - 20
VMI (11/25/17) Larry Motuzis - 26; Sa'eed Nelson - 21
THE FREEBIRD RULE: Against Saint Francis, American finished with three players scoring over 20 points. This is the first time under head coach Mike Brennan era. Sa'eed Nelson led all scorers with 24 points, Larry Motuzis had 23 and Chiekh 'CB' Diallo had 20. This is the second straight game the trio scored in double figures and third straight game this season the instance has occurred (Nelson, Motuzis and Marvin Bragg - at UNH).
KING OF THE MOUNTAIN: Sa'eed Nelson has tied former AU guard Jesse Reed ('16) with nine 20+ point performances under head coach Mike Brennan. Nelson is the quickest to reach that peak in only his second season with the Eagles. Nelson's career-best 26-point contest at New Hampshire is second to Reed in most single-game points scored during the Brennan era. Larry Motuzis joined Nelson with a 26-point game in only his fifth game as an Eagle. Motuzis is the first player to score that many single-game points in his first season with the team.
ALL ABOUT THE JACKSONS: Sa'eed Nelson has scored 20 or more points in four straight games, averaging 23.5 per contest. He has also helped out at the rim with 5.5 rebounds per game with a season-best eight at New Hampshire.
CHI-TOWN HEAT: Motuzis entered American having already scored 1,012 points after two seasons at NAIA member Saint Xavier in Chicago. In six games with the Eagles, Motuzis has scored in double figures five times and three straight games over 20 points. During the last three games, Motuzis is averaging 23.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game.
IN YOUR HOUSE: Motuzis' 26 points in his Bender debut was the best home-opening performance under a Brennan player and the third straight season where a newcomer has scored in double digits — Delante Jones (10), Sa'eed Nelson (24).
MARVIN 'BUFF' BRAGG: Marvin Bragg has averaged 8.0 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game over the last three games. Bragg has a season-best 11 points at New Hampshire.
#AUMBB vs. MEAC: American is 24-13 against the MEAC. American will renew feuds with local foes Howard and Maryland Eastern Shore this season. American is 4-3 against the Hawks and 15-6 against the Bison. American has not played seven members of the MEAC, who will lose Hampton to the Big South.