Game #6• American (2-3) at Saint Francis U. (2-3)
Wed., Nov. 30, 2017 • 7 p.m.ET • Loretto, Pa. • DeGol Arena (3,500)
All-Time Record: American, 11-7
Stream: NEC Front Row
Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/francis/mbball/
Game Notes: American | Saint Francis
News, Notes, and Storylines
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Larry Motuzis scored 21 of his career-best 26 points in the second half to lead the Eagles to a home opening win over VMI.
- Sa'eed Nelson was named to the Patriot League Weekly Honorable Mention after averaging 23.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in American's 2-0 week.
- After trailing 11-2, the Eagles went on a 25-14 run to take a 27-25 lead with 3:03 left in first half. The Eagles led the rest of the way with VMI coming as close as 53-51 with 8:25 left. VMI cut a 10-point lead with 34 seconds left into a five-point game after a last-second layup.
- American scored 24 points on 15 VMI turnovers. The Eagles have scored 72 points off 70 opponent turnovers in five games.
SCOUTING THE RED FLASH
- Saint Francis was the unanimous pick in the Northeast Conference Preseason poll. Isaiah Blackmon and Keith Braxton were named to the All-NEC Preseason team.
- Three players are scoring in double figures — Keith Braxton (15.4), Isaiah Blackmon (14.3) and Jamaal King (13.6).
- The Red Flash dropped both games out West to Saint Mary's and San Francisco. The Red Flash took the home opener by 27 over Longwood, 83-56.
- In the past three seasons, the Red Flash have amassed a 26-15 record at DeGol Arena. Saint Francis is two wins away from its 350th win on its home court.
LAST TIME OUT: Larry Motuzis scored 21 of his season-high 26 points in the second half as American University defeated VMI, 69-64. Sa'eed Nelson finished with 21 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Eagles, who also got 10 points from CB Diallo.
#AUMBB TAG TEAM: During the Mike Brennan era, the Eagles have had seven occasions where two players scored 20 or more points each. This season is the first time that two players have done it in back-to-back games. Sa'eed Nelson and Jesse Reed have been part of the three duos to reach the feat.
Army (1/25/14) - John Schoof - 22; Jesse Reed - 20
Lafayette (2/14/15) - John Schoof - 23; Pee Wee Gardner - 20
Lafayette (1/20/16) - Delante Jones - 23; Jesse Reed - 23
Navy (2/24/16) - Delante Jones - 20; Jesse Reed - 21
Lafayette (2/15/17) - Sa'eed Nelson - 20; Mark Gasperini - 20
UNH (11/21/17) - Sa'eed Nelson - 26; Larry Motuzis - 20
VMI (11/25/17) - Larry Motuzis - 26; Sa'eed Nelson - 21
BRENNAN'S 20 BUNCHES OF OATS; At New Hampshire, Sa'eed Nelson scored a new career-best 26 points along with a new best in 3-pointers made (4) and 3-point attempts. Larry Motuzis tied Nelson's team-high 26 points in a home win over VMI. Their 26-point performances are tied for the second highest point performance by a Mike Brennan coached player at American. Jesse Reed had 28 points on Jan. 29, 2014 against Navy and scored 20 or more points nine times under Brennan. Nelson has eclipsed this feat eight times while Motuzis has done it twice in five games.
#AUMBB vs. NORTHEAST CONFERENCE: American is 64-57 against the Northeast Conference. This season, American will play three teams in the league — Wagner, Mount St. Mary's and Saint Francis — within a month span. American has played local foe Mount St. Mary's 64 times, holding a 34-30 all-time record. The Eagles have won 11 games against Fairleigh Dickinson and Saint Francis University. Against teams from New York City, the Eagles are 12-9. The only two schools from the NEC yet to face American are Bryant and Sacred Heart.