Men’s Basketball Closes Out Regular Season at Lafayette
Teams: American (10-18, 5-8 PL) at Lafayette (16-14, 9-4 PL)
Date and Location: Saturday, March 2, 2013, Noon – Kirby Sports Center, Easton, Pa.
Series: 49th meeting; American leads, 31-17
Last Meeting: W, 68-64 – Washington, D.C. (February 2, 2013)
TV: Lafayette Sports Network (RCN-4, RCN-8, WBPH-60)
Radio: Federal News Radio 1500AM
American's challenging end to the regular season concludes on Saturday at Lafayette. After traveling to league-leading Bucknell on Wednesday, the Eagles face the second-place Leopards with conference seeding on the line. Fans can watch all the action on Patriot League All*Access or on the Lafayette Sports Network for RCN subscribers. The game will also be broadcast on Federal News Radio 1500AM with Dan Laing (play-by-play) and Jeremy Huber (analyst) on the call.
American can clinch the fifth-seed in the Patriot League tournament with a win, but can fall to sixth with a loss and a Colgate win at Holy Cross.
The Eagles lead the all-time series with Lafayette, 31-17, after a 68-64 win last month at Bender Arena. AU has won 17 of the last 18 matchups.
Nationally-ranked rebounder Stephen Lumpkins continues to pace American, nearly averaging a double-double this year. "Lump" is 24th in the nation with 9.6 rebounds per game and also leads the team with 14.4 ppg. Lumpkins, who went 26-straight games scoring in double digits, is also 11th in the country with 13 double-doubles.
Second-year sharpshooter John Schoof leads the Patriot League in 3-pointers per game (2.4) and 3-point percentage (.508). He is second in country in 3-point percentage according to ESPN.com (two 3-pointers attempted per game minimum).
Senior Daniel Munoz is second on the team with 10.5 ppg and is fourth in the league with 3.6 assists per game as well as second with an .868 free throw percentage
Junior center Tony Wroblicky led the team at Bucknell with 13 points and leads the conference in Patriot League games with a .639 (46-of-72) field goal percentage.
Scouting the Opponent
• Lafayette looks to lock up the second seed in the Patriot League tournament with a win over American. The Leopards would fall to third with a loss.
• The Leopards are led by the trio of Seth Hinrichs (14.5 ppg, 4.1 rpg), Dan Trist (12.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg) and Tony Johnson (12.5 ppg, 4.9 apg).
• Rookie Bryce Scott (7.7 ppg) has come on for Lafayette, earning a starting role and upping his scoring average (9.4) in conference play. Levi Giese (7.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg) rounds out the starting lineup for the Leopards.
• Lafayette is third in the conference with 68.5 ppg, but ranks last in the Patriot League in points allowed with 69.6 ppg. The Leopards are also third in 3-point percentage, .381 (244-of-641).
• Head coach Fran O'Hanlon is the longest-tenured coach in the Patriot League in his 18th season. He has won three conference titles and led the Leopards to two NCAA appearances.
Social Media Insider
The Patriot League Tournament begins on Wednesday, March 6, at higher-seeded host sites.