Men’s Basketball Visits League-Leading Bucknell on Wednesday Night
Teams: American (10-17, 5-7 PL) at Bucknell (23-5, 10-2 PL)
Date and Location: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 7 p.m. – Sojka Pavilion, Lewisburg, Pa.
Series: 53rd meeting; American trails, 32-20
Last Meeting: L, 56-55 – Washington, D.C. (January 30, 2013)
TV: WNEP2 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
American closes out the 2012-13 regular season with two road contests, starting at Bucknell on Wednesday night at Sojka Pavilion. The game will air locally in the Scanton/Wilkes-Barre area on WNEP2. The Eagles are 5-2 this season in TV games.
American nearly upset the Patriot League-leading Bison at Bender Arena nearly a month ago, leading late, until a tip-in by Mike Muscala with 0.8 seconds left on the clock let Bucknell escape with the win.
Bucknell leads the all-time series between the two schools, 32-20, and have won seven-straight matchups, with six of the last eight games decided by six points of less. AU's last victory did come in Lewisburg however, with the Eagles winning, 52-50, on February 11, 2009.
AU continues to be led by nationally-ranked rebounder, Lumpkins. "Lump" is 21st in the nation with 9.6 rebounds per game. He also leads the team with 14.7 ppg and has upped both averages in Patriot League play, ranking fourth in the conference with 15.1 ppg and second with 10.3 rpg. Lumpkins is 11th in country with double-doubles and has reached double-figure points in 26-straight games.
Senior Daniel Munoz is second on the team with 10.5 ppg and is coming off of a season-high eight assists. AU's point guard is also fourth in the league with 3.7 assists per game as well as second with a .868 free throw percentage.
Second-year sharpshooter John Schoof has proven to be one of the most improved players in the conference and leads the Patriot League in 3-pointers per game (2.4) and 3-point percentage (.508). He is second in country in 3-point percentage according to ESPN.com (two 3-pointers attempted per game minimum).
Scouting the Opponent
• Bucknell is the lone 20-game winner in the Patriot League and has lost just five times all season. The Bison can clinch the top seed in the conference with a win on Wednesday.
• The Bison are led by Mike Muscala, who averages a double-double with 19.4 ppg, and 11.3 rpg.
• It is not all Muscala for Bucknell as starters Cameron Ayers (12.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg), Bryson Johnson (11.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg) and Joe Willman (10.5, 5.7) all average double-figure points.
• The Bison are fourth in the Patriot League with 67.6 ppg but leads the conference with 58.5 points allowed per game for a league-best +9.1 scoring margin.
• Head coach Dave Paulsen is in his fifth season at Bucknell and with two wins to the regular season, he will have lead the Bison to back-to-back-to-back 25-win seasons.
Social Media Insider
The Eagles close out the 2012-13 regular season at Lafayette on the road on Saturday, March 2