Teams: American (10-16, 5-6 PL) vs. Army (13-13, 6-5 PL)
Date and Location: Saturday, February 23, 2013, 2 p.m. – Bender Arena, Washington, D.C.
Series: 29th meeting; American leads, 24-4
Last Meeting: L, 77-64 – West Point, N.Y. (January 26, 2013)
Web: Patriot League All*Access - Dan Laing (Play-By-Play), Jeremy Huber (Analyst)
Events: Senior Day, Fan Appreciation Day
The Eagles return to Bender Arena for the final time in the regular season, taking on the team directly above them in the Patriot League standings, Army. American will also celebrate the careers of seven seniors before the game: Mike Bersch, Jordan Borucki, Daniel Fisher, Warren Flood, Jr., Blake Jolivette, Stephen Lumpkins and Daniel Munoz.
American and Army last met nearly a month ago on January 26, with the Military Academy taking a 77-64 victory at West Point.
Prior to the last meeting, AU had won the past six matchups and holds a 24-4 all-time series advantage and an unblemished 14-0 mark at home.
AU continues to be led by nationally-ranked rebounder, Lumpkins. "Lump" is 18th in the nation with 9.8 rebounds per game. He also leads the team with 14.9 ppg and has upped both averages in Patriot League play, ranking fourth in the conference with 15.5 ppg and second with 10.7 rpg. Lumpkins now has four-straight double-doubles for 13 total this season and has scored in double-digits in 25-straight games.
Munoz is second on the team with 10.6 ppg and has scored 12-plus point in six of the last seven games. AU's point guard is also fourth in the league with 3.6 assists per game as well as second with an .861 free throw percentage.
Sophomore John Schoof, last week's Patriot League Player of the Week, has proven to be one of the most improved players in the conference. The second-year sharpshooter leads the Patriot League in 3-pointers per game (2.4) and 3-point percentage (.496). He ranks fifth in country in 3-point percentage according to ESPN.com (two 3-pointers attempted per game minimum).
Scouting the Opponent
• Riding a three-game win streak after a two-point loss to Bucknell, Army looks to sweep the Eagles this season and help push for a first-round home game in the Patriot League Tournament.
• The Black Knights are led by leading scorer Ella Ellis, who averages 17.1 ppg and is third on the team with 3.7 rpg and 39 total assists.
• Freshman Kyle Wilson is on of the top rookies in the Patriot League this season and is the team's second-leading scorer with 13.0 ppg.
• Fellow rookies Kyle Toth (8.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg), Dylan Cox (6.2 ppg, 3.2 apg) and Kevin Ferguson (2.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg) round out the starting lineup while Josh Herbeck, who returned from injury four games ago, is third on the team with 8.9 ppg.
• Head coach Zach Spiker is in his third season at Army and is the first coach at the Military Academy in more than 25 years to win 37 games in his first three seasons.
Social Media Insider
The Eagles close out the 2012-13 regular season on the road with matchups against two of the top three teams in Patriot League. AU travels to Bucknell on Wednesday, February 27, before heading to Lafayette on Saturday, March 2.