Teams: American (10-15, 5-5 PL) vs. Navy (7-19, 1-9 PL)
Date and Location: Wednesday, February 30, 2013, 7 p.m. – Alumni Hall, Annapolis, Md.
Series: 78th meeting; American leads, 40-37
Last Meeting: W, 72-49 – Washington, D.C. (January 23, 2013)
The month of February has been a good one for the Eagles as they are now 3-1 with three home victories inside Bender Arena including Sunday's, 64-61, overtime thriller against Holy Cross. AU hits the road on Wednesday night though, taking on the Naval Academy at 7 p.m.
American and Navy last met nearly a month ago on January 23rd, with the Eagles taking a 72-49 victory at Bender Arena.
The overall series between the two schools dates back to 1929, with AU holding a 40-37 advantage. American has won the last four-straight, nine of the last 10 and 29 of the last 34 matchups.
The Eagles are flying high after their overtime win against Holy Cross thanks to Daniel Munoz's buzzer-beating 3-pointer and improved to 7-5 at home, 10-2 when leading at the half and 5-0 in TV games at Bender Arena.
AU continues to be led by nationally-ranked rebounder Stephen Lumpkins. "Lump" is 20th in the nation with 9.7 rebounds per game. He also leads the team with 15.0 ppg and has upped both averages in Patriot League play, ranking third in the conference with 16.0 ppg and second with 10.6 rpg. Lumpkins now has three-straight double-doubles for 12 total this season and has scored in double-digits in 24-straight games.
Sophomore John Schoof, last week's Patriot League Player of the Week, has proven to be one of the most improved players in the conference. The second-year sharpshooter leads the Patriot League in 3-pointers per game (2.4) and 3-point percentage (.496). He ranks eighth in country in 3-point percentage according to ESPN.com (two 3-pointers attempted per game minimum).
Munoz is one of three AU players averaging double-digit scoring this season (10.4 ppg) and is fourth in the league with 3.6 assists per game as well as second with an .854 free throw percentage.
Scouting the Opponent
• Navy is riding a seven-game losing streak after knocking off Army on the road back on January 20, for the Midshipmen's lone Patriot League win this season.
• Navy is led by Worth Smith, the Midshipmen's lone double-digit scorer (10.6 ppg). He also leads the team with 6.0 rpg.
• Freshman Tilman Dunbar is one of the top rookies in the Patriot League this season with 9.8 ppg and a conference-leading 5.2 apg.
• G Brandon Venturini has been a fixture in the lineup with 8.8 ppg while Thurgood Wynn (3.8 ppg, 2.8 prg) and Will Kelly (2.3 ppg, 2.8 rpg) round out the projected starters.
• Head coach Ed DeChellis is in his second season at Navy after successful stints at East Tennessee State and Penn State. He is the 19th coach in the 105-year history of Midshipmen basketball.
Social Media Insider
The Eagles return to Bender Arena on Saturday, February 23, for the final regular season home game and Senior Day! AU will take on Army at 2 p.m. Tickets are still available and can be purchased by clicking here or by calling (202) 885-TIXX.