Teams: American (9-15, 4-5 PL) vs. Holy Cross (11-13, 3-6 PL)
Date and Location: Sunday, February 17, 2013, Noon – Bender Arena, Washington, D.C.
Series: 30th meeting; American trails, 18-11
Last Meeting: L, 79-60 – Worcester, Mass. (January 19, 2013)
TV: CBS Sports Network – Bob Socci (play-by-play), Chris Spatola (analyst)
American returns to Bender Arena on Sunday afternoon to take on Holy Cross, live on CBS Sports. The Eagles will look to get back on the winning track after AU's second half rally at league-leading Lehigh was trumped by a late Mountain Hawk run.
Not only do the Eagles boast a winning record (6-5) at home, they have played their best when the lights are brightest, winning all four TV games inside Bender Arena.
American looks to square the season series with Holy Cross after falling in Worcester, Mass., earlier this year. The Crusaders lead the all-time series, 18-11, but AU holds an 8-6 advantage at Bender.
After a 15-point win over Colgate this past Saturday, American swept the Patriot League Weekly Awards as sophomore John Schoof was named the Player of the Week and freshman Jesse Reed named Rookie of the Week Honors.
Schoof knocked down 8-of-11 shots, five from long range, to drop 24 points on the Raiders. The second-year sharpshooter leads the Patriot League in 3-pointers per game (2.4) and 3-point percentage (.491). He ranks seventh in country in 3-point percentage according to ESPN.com (two 3-pointers attempted per game minimum).
AU continues to be led by nationally-ranked rebounder Stephen Lumpkins. "Lump" is 26th in the nation with 9.6 rebounds per game. He also leads the team with 15.0 ppg and has upped both averages in Patriot League play, ranking third in the conference with 15.6 ppg and second with 10.2 rpg.
Junior Tony Wroblicky has also upped his play in league action, ranking first with a .640 (32-of-50) field goal percentage, 55 percentage ahead of second place.
Scouting the Opponent
• After defeating AU earlier this season, Holy Cross went on a five-game, Patriot League losing streak, finally snapping the skid this past Tuesday at Navy, 66-57.
• The Crusaders are led by the inside-out duo of Dave Dudzinski and Justin Burrell. Down low, Dudzinski averages 15.6 ppg and 6.9 rpg while Burrell runs the point, averaging 12.5 ppg and 3.2 apg.
• C Phil Beans (8.9 ppg, 3.9 rpg), F Malcolm Miller (6.0 ppg, 5.6 rpg) and G Jordan Stevens (5.5 ppg, 2.5 apg) have made the majority of the starts for Holy Cross this season but Cullen Hamilton (5.8 ppg, 2.5 rpg) and Christopher Morgan (1.3 ppg, 1.0 rpg) joined Miller in the starting five two games ago.
• The Crusaders lead the league in field goal percentage (.461) and are third in field goal percentage defense (.414), but last in 3-point field goal percentage (.326).
• Head coach Milan Brown is in his third season at the helm of Holy Cross and boasts a 19-18 record in Patriot League play and a 34-50 mark overall.
Social Media Insider
American has a midweek matchup with the Midshipmen, traveling to Navy on Wednesday, February 20, at 7 p.m. The Eagles return to Bender Arena on Saturday, February 23, for the final home game and Senior Day! AU will take on Army at 2 p.m. Tickets are still available and can be purchased by clicking here or by calling (202) 885-TIXX.