Teams: American (9-14, 4-4 PL) vs. Lehigh (17-5, 7-1 PL)
Date and Location: Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 7 p.m. – Stabler Arena, Bethlehem, Pa.
Series: 40th meeting; American trails, 23-16
Last Meeting: L, 63-57 – Washington, D.C. (January 16, 2013)
Radio: Federal News Radio 1050AM - Dan Laing (Play-By-Play), Jeremy Huber (Analyst)
After a successful three-game homestand in which American men's basketball was .08 seconds away from going 3-0, the Eagles return to the road to take on league-leading Lehigh.
American and Lehigh had a close contest in the first meeting at Bender Arena this season, with the Mountain Hawks pulling out a six-point win despite four Eagles scoring in double figures.
Lehigh owns the all-time series, 23-16, winning the last two matchups with an 11-6 advantage in Bethlehem.
Coming off a 15-point win over Colgate this past Saturday, American swept the Patriot League Weekly Awards as sophomore John Schoof was named the Player of the Week and freshman Jesse Reed named Rookie of the Week Honors.
Schoof knocked down 8-of-11 shots, five from long range, to drop 24 points on the Raiders. The second-year sharpshooter leads the Patriot League in 3-pointers per game (2.4) and 3-point percentage (.509).
Reed, who has taken to the role of "sixth-man" since the start of Patriot League play, was one of five Eagles to score in double digits with 10 points, while adding five boards and two 3-pointers.
AU continues to be led by nationally-ranked rebounder Stephen Lumpkins. "Lump" is 30th in the nation with 9.4 rebounds per game. He also leads the team with 15.2 ppg and has upped both averages in Patriot League play, ranking second in the conference with 16.6 ppg and 10.1 rpg.
Junior Tony Wroblicky has upped his play in league action, ranking first with a .674 (29-of-43) field goal percentage.
Scouting the Opponent
• Lehigh stands atop the Patriot League standings, tied for first with Bucknell, but owning the tie-breaker after downing the Bison earlier this season.
• The Mountain Hawks have used their depth to overcome the loss of leading scorer C.J. McCollum (23.9 ppg) as three other players average over 12 ppg.
• F Gabe Knutson leads the way with 13.4 ppg and is third on the team with 4.3 rpg. PG Mackey McKnight checks in with 12.6 ppg and is second in the league with 5.0 apg. F Holden Greiner is next with 12.3 ppg and scored 22 points in the last meeting with AU.
• Lehigh is the top scoring team in the Patriot League at 75.5 ppg, outscoring their opponents by a conference-best mark of 10 ppg.
• Head coach Dr. Brett Reed is in his sixth season at the helm of the Mountain Hawks, leading Lehigh to a program-record 27 wins and the team's third league title last season.
Social Media Insider
The Eagles return to Bender Arena on Sunday, February 17, for American's second-to-last home game. AU will take on Holy Cross at noon in a game aired live on the CBS Sports Network. Tickets are still available to this game and to all home games by clicking here or by calling (202) 885-TIXX.