Teams: American (7-13, 2-3 PL) vs. Bucknell (17-4, 4-1 PL)
Date and Location: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 7:30 p.m. – Bender Arena, Washington, D.C.
Series: 52nd meeting; Bucknell leads, 31-20
Last Meeting: L, 55-50 – Washington, D.C. (February 23, 2012)
Web: Patriot League All-Access - Dan Laing (Play-By-Play), Jeremy Huber (Analyst)
American University men's basketball tips-off a three-game homestand at Bender Arena on Wednesday night when the Eagles take on first-place Bucknell at 7:30 p.m. The Eagles look to move back to .500 in Patriot League play, while the Bison can move into sole possession of first, currently holding a share of the top spot with Lehigh.
The Bison own the lead in the all-time series at 31-20, including a 16-8 mark in Patriot League play. Although Bucknell has taken the last six meetings, five of the last seven games were decided by six points or less.
American is coming off of a 1-1 week against the service academies, downing Navy, 72-49, at Bender, before falling to Army on the road. Senior Stephen Lumpkins' eighth double-double of the season (21 points, 10 rebounds) was not enough as the Black Knights topped the Eagles 77-64.
Lumpkins continues to lead AU in points, rebounds and blocks and ranks 21st nationally with 9.6 rebounds per game. He is now fourth all-time in Patriot League history with 795 career rebounds.
Sophomore John Schoof had a career performance vs. Navy last week with 27 points which included eight 3-pointers, one shy of the AU all-time, single game record. He followed it up with 12 points and a career-high seven rebounds, and was named to a Patriot League honorable mention selection.
American leads the Patriot League in conference play with 38.0 rpg, while limiting opponents to league-low 30.2 rpg in league games.
Lumpkins' 11.2 rpg in conference play leads the way, while junior center Tony Wroblicky ranks third in the Patriot League with 7.6 rpg over five contests. Wroblicky also leads the conference with a .643 field goal percentage.
Scouting the Opponent
• Bucknell has been one of the strongest teams in the Patriot League this season with just four losses on the year: at Penn State (60-57), at Princeton (79-67), at No. 12 Missouri (66-64) and vs. Lehigh (65-62).
• The Bison are led by senior center Mike Muscala. The big man is one of the best in the country, leading the Patriot League and ranking among the top-20 nationally in points (19.5), rebounds (11.0) and blocks (60).
• Bucknell also boasts three other starters scoring in double digits. Cameron Ayers (12.0), Joe Willman (11.5) and Bryson Johnson (11.2). Ryan Hill (3.5 ppg) joins the other five Bison to have started every game this season.
• Bucknell is the top team in the league in scoring defense (58.8 ppg) while putting up 68.7 ppg, third best in the conference.
• Head Coach Dave Paulsen is in his fifth season with Bison. In 2010-11 he led Bucknell to its second-straight 25-win season, a Patriot League regular season title, a conference tournament championship and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. He has won the last two Patriot League Coach of the Year awards.
Social Media Insider
American plays host to Lafayette on Saturday, February 2, at 2 p.m. Tickets are still available to this game and to all AU home games by clicking here or by calling (202) 885-TIXX.