Men’s Basketball Begins Patriot League Play at Colgate on Saturday at 2 p.m.
Teams: American (5-10, 0-0) vs. Colgate (6-10, 0-0)
Date and Location: Saturday, January 12, 2013, 2 p.m. – Cotterell Court, Hamilton, N.Y.
Series: 28th meeting; American leads, 23-4
Last Meeting: W, 59-58 – Hamilton, N.Y. (February 4, 2012)
Radio: Federal News Radio 1050AM - Dan Laing (Play-By-Play), Jeremy Huber (Analyst)
After a challenging non-conference slate the American University men's basketball team is primed for Patriot League action as the Eagles travel to Hamilton, N.Y., for a matchup with the Colgate Raiders on Saturday, January 12, at 2 p.m., on Cotterell Court.
Fans can tune in to all the action on Federal News Radio 1050AM and listen online at FederalNewsRadio.com. The game is preceded by the weekly Jeff Jones Radio Show, which begins at 1:30 p.m.
American leads the all-time series with Colgate, 23-4, including an 8-4 advantage on the road. The Eagles have won the past five meetings with the Raiders, taking both matchups last season. AU was victorious in D.C., on January 7, 2012, 82-54, and also won in Upstate New York, 59-58, on February 4, 2012.
The Eagles enter Patriot League action after a two-game homestand at Bender Arena, which tipped off the New Year. American defeated Maryland-Eastern Shore, 63-49, on January 3, before a second half comeback came up just short against Cornell, 68-60, on January 6.
American is led by senior Stephen Lumpkins who paces the team with 14.4 points per game and 9.1 rebounds per game. He ranks eighth in the Patriot League in points and second in boards. Lumpkins swatted three shots against UMES to become AU's all-time leader in blocks.
Senior Daniel Munoz is second on the team with 10.4 points per game and is fourth in the conference with 3.6 assists per game after dishing out seven helpers against Cornell. Munoz is also second in the league with a .882 free throw percentage and leads all Patriot League players with 36.5 minutes per game.
Sophomore John Schoof continues to be a stalwart in the AU lineup and ranks second in the Patriot League in minutes per game at 36.1. Schoof has also proven to be one of the best shooters in the league, ranking behind only Lehigh's C.J. McCollum in 3-point percentage (.508). The second-year sharpshooter posted his 11th game with two or more 3-pointers and continued his string of games with at least one trey made to 12 vs. Cornell.
Senior Blake Jolivette joined the starting lineup to start 2013 and is now averaging 9.4 points per game in five contests this season. Since joining the starting-five, Jolivette has led the squad in points in each game with 16 against UMES and 15 versus Colgate.
American returns to Bender Arena for its first Patriot League home game of the season on Wednesday, January 16, at 7:30 p.m., against conference preseason-favorite, Lehigh. Fans can purchase tickets to this game and to all AU home games by clicking here or by calling (202) 885-TIXX.
Scouting the Opponent
• Colgate has also faced some tough competition in non-league action, opening the season at Illinois (L, 75-55) and Marquette (L, 84-63). The Raiders have also played at Syracuse (L, 87-51) and Providence College (L, 79-45).
• AU and Colgate have played four of the same opponents this season: at Saint Francis (Pa.) (W, 85-76), at Cornell (L, 70-63), at Quinnpiac (L, 67-56) and at Columbia (L, 66-59).
• Colgate is led by junior forward Murphy Burnatowski. The 6-foot-7, 230-pounder averages team-highs with 17.5 points per game, 6.0 rebounds per game, 39 3-pointers made, 57 free throws made and 21 steals.
• Junior guard Pat Moore is the only other Raider to average double-digit points with 11.4 points per game. Sophomore guard Luke Roh leads the team with 3.6 assists per game. Senior guard Mitch Rolls (6.9 ppg, 3.1 apg) and senior center John Brandenburg (4.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg) round out the Colgate starting lineup.
• Head Coach Matt Langel is in his second year with Colgate after serving as an assistant at Penn and Temple. The Raiders went 8-22 overall and 2-12 in conference play last season.