Teams: American (4-8) vs. No. 6/6 Kansas (10-1)
Series: Second meeting; Kansas leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: L, 90-69 – Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, Kan. (January 6, 1988)
Date and Location: Saturday, December 29, 8 p.m. – Allen Fieldhouse
TV: ESPN Full Court
American University men's basketball closes 2012 with its second-straight nationally-ranked road foe, traveling to Allen Fieldhouse for a matchup against the No. 6/6 Kansas Jayhawks on Saturday, December 29, at 8 p.m. The Eagles are coming off of a 65-48 loss to then-No. 15/21 Georgetown.
The contest will be aired nationally on ESPN Full Court and can be accessed online on ESPN3.
AU will play in Lawrence for the second time in program history, the last time coming on January 6, 1988. KU won the only previous matchup, 90-69, and went on that season to win the National Championship.
Senior forward Stephen Lumpkins continues to lead American with 15.0 scoring and 8.3 rebounding averages. Lumpkins has scored in double-figures in 11-straight games and is one block away from becoming American's all-time leader.
Senior guard Daniel Munoz has stepped up his scoring this season, ranking second with 10.4 points per game and leads American with 40 assists. He has made 17 threes this season.
Sophomore guard John Schoof leads the squad and the Patriot League in 3-point percentage (24-of-48) and minutes per game (37.5) to complement his 8.3 scoring average.
Senior guard Blake Jolivette played his first two games of the season at Hampton (12/18) and at Georgetown (12/22) and is averaging 5.5 ppg on 5-of-11 shooting in just over 20 minutes a game.
Rookie Marko Vasic has come on strong as of late, averaging 10 points and five rebounds over his past two games. Vasic knocked down his first two 3-pointers at then-No.15 Georgetown in the Eagles' last game.
Scouting the Opponent
• Ranked No. 6 in both the Dec. 24 polls, Kansas is 10-1 on the season after its 74-66 win at then-No. 7 Ohio State on Dec. 22.
• Kansas averages 77.5 points per game and is giving up 59.2 for a Big 12-leading +18.3 scoring margin. KU is outrebounding foes 39.0 to 33.5 and averaging 7.4 steals, while also leading the conference in field goal percentage at 49.3 and blocked shots at 8.2 per game.
• Redshirt freshman Ben McLemore leads the team in scoring at 16.5 points per game, which includes a 22-point effort at then-No. 7 Ohio State (12/22), which earned him Big 12 Rookie of the Week honors. His 16.5 ppg average is tops among Big 12 freshmen and second overall in the conference. He leads KU with 20 three-pointers made and is second on the team with 13 steals.
• Senior center Jeff Withey has posted back-to-back double-doubles for the third time in his career and leads Kansas in rebounding (8.3 rpg) and blocked shots at 5.0 bpg, which is second in the nation.
• Kansas is coached by Bill Self, who is in his 10th season at KU with a 279-54 record for an 83.8 winning percentage.
American opens 2013 with two home matchups at Bender Arena. The Eagles host UMES on January 3 before taking on Cornell on January 6.