Men’s Basketball Faces No. 15/21 Georgetown at the Verizon Center on Saturday at Noon
Teams: American (4-7) vs. No. 15/21 Georgetown (9-1)
Series: 53rd meeting; Georgetown leads, 44-8
Last Meeting: L, 81-55 – Verizon Center, Washington, D.C. (December 17, 2011)
Date and Location: Saturday, December 22, Noon – Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
TV: Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN)
Game Notes: American
American University men's basketball ends the 2012 portion of its schedule with premier road matchups, the first coming against D.C., rival, Georgetown. The No.15/21-ranked Hoyas and Eagles square off at the Verizon Center at Noon in a game aired locally on MASN and on the web on ESPN3.
The Eagles and Hoyas have met 52 times before, with American winning eight of those matchups. 2012-13 is the 30th anniversary of American's upset over Patrick Ewing and then No. 5-ranked Georgetown, 62-61. It was the last time that AU has downed the Hoyas. Last season, the Eagles fell at GU, 81-55.
Despite a seven-point loss at Hampton in their last game, senior forward Stephen Lumpkins registered his third-straight double-double with 12 points and a career-best 15 rebounds. "Lump" also rejected two shots in the game and is now just two blocks back of AU's all-time leader, Saliou-Binet Telly '01.
In addition to the blocks mark, Lumpkins also joined the list of 1,000 point scorers this season and is just seven points back of Ray Rhuling '60 for 23rd in program history. He also ranks 12th all-time in rebounds.
Senior guard Blake Jolivette and rookie Marko Vasic made "arrivals" on Tuesday at Hampton, as Jolivette scored six points and dished out two assists in his season debut, while Vasic set career highs with 12 points, five rebounds, two assists a block and a steal in 24 minutes off the bench.
The final game of 2012 pits American against one of its biggest challenges of the season as the Eagles travel to Allen Fieldhouse for a matchup against the No. 9/9 Kansas Jayhawks on December 29.
Scouting the Opponent
• Georgetown is ranked in both national polls and has lost just a single game this season. They Hoyas' only "L" came against then-No.1 Indiana in overtime.
• GU is one of six BIG EAST schools with one loss or less this season and currently rank sixth in the conference. Georgetown boasts wins over No. 13 UCLA, Tennessee and Texas.
• The Hoyas' are led by the sophomore duo of Otto Porter and Greg Whittington who average 12.9 and 12.5 ppg, respectively. Whittington leads the team with 7.7 rpg, while Porter ranks just behind with 7.1.
• Juniors Markel Starks and Nate Lubick and sophomore Mikael Hopkins round out the starters for Georgetown. Starks in third on the squad with 11.6 ppg. Lubick averages 7.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg and a team-leading 33 assists. Hopkins averages 8.3 ppg and 3.0 rpg.
• Head coach John Thopmson III has led Georgetown to the postseason in each of his eight years at the helm, including six NCAA Tournament appearances.