Men’s Basketball Travels Cross-Town to Face Howard on Tuesday Night
Teams: American (3-4) vs. Howard (1-7)
Series: 18th meeting; American leads, 14-3 (6-2 on the road)
Last Meeting: W, 77-66 – Bender Arena (November 29, 2011)
Date and Location: Tuesday, December 4, 7 p.m. – Burr Gymnasium, Washington, D.C.
American continues its grueling slate of seven road contests in a nine-game span when they travel to face cross-town rival Howard. The Eagles and Bison tip at 7 p.m., on Tuesday, December 4 at Burr Gymnasium.
Head coach Jeff Jones and his squad are coming off a 61-51 win over Saint Francis (Pa.) on Saturday afternoon at Bender Arena.
American used a 14-2 run to close out the game, despite trailing, 49-47, with less than five minutes remaining.
The Eagles have relied on their "big three" early this season as seniors Stephen Lumpkins and Daniel Munoz and sophomore John Schoof lead the Patriot League in minutes played this year. Munoz (36.1 mpg), Schoof (35.4 mpg) and Lumpkins (33.6) are 1-2-3 in the conference and appear at or near the top of several statiscial categories.
Lumpkins fifth in the league with 17.0 ppg, third with 7.1 rpg, fourth with a .585 field goal percentage and fourth with 1.6 bpg. "Lump" also recently joined the distinguished list of 1,000-point scorers at American. At FAU on November 24, Lumpkins swished a free throw to become just the 29th player in program history to join the distinguished list. He also ranks among the school's best in rebounds (13th) and blocks (second).
Munoz leads the Patriot League in free throw shooting percentage (.889), hitting 16-of-18 from the charity stripe and is fourth in the conference with 4.0 apg.
Schoof has proven to be on the best sharpshooters in the league, leading the conference in 3-point field goal percentage (.591), hitting 13-of-22 shots from deep.
Scouting the Opponent
• Howard is 1-7 on the year, getting their lone win of the season two games ago against Wilmington, 66-50, on November 25. The Bison have road losses to DI powers Iowa (66-36), Wichita State (69-50) and Pittsburgh (70-46). They are coming off a road loss at Hampton, 58-50, on December 1.
• The Bison are led by redshirt senior guard Calvin Thompson, who is averaging a team-high 15.3 ppg. Senior forward Mike Phillips is second on the team with 11.3 ppg and first with 7.0 rpg.
• Three other players each average five rebounds per game - Thompson (5.0), Prince Okoroh (5.3) and Alphonso Leary (5.1).
• Point guard Samuel Frazier paces the offense with 3.6 apg and is third on the team with 9.9 ppg.
• Head coach Kevin Nickelberry is in his third season at Howard, previously coaching at Hampton from 2006-2009.