WASHINGTON - The American University cross country team opened it's 2019 schedule with promising performances from newcomers and returners alike on Friday at the Mount St. Mary's 5k Duals.
COACH SEAN GRAHAM...
"This was a pretty good start to the season. We had some strong performances on both sides and saw some areas where we need to improve. On the guys' side, Aidan Caggiano, Russell Sullivan, and Tucker Zullo all put themselves in good spots and were able to hold on to them. The women's race was significantly stronger than in years past with Georgetown and Maryland in the mix. We got out a little too fast for what we're able to do at this time in the year and paid the price toward the end. But a gutsy run for Shelbi Wuss and a great first race for newcomer Lauren Wagner paced the team."
- Sophomore Aidan Caggiano led the men's team for the first time in his career, posting a final time of 15:47.23 to place seventh in the field.
- Russell Sullivan was the first overall freshman across the line, pacing through alongside Caggiano for eighth overall in 15:47.61.
- Classmate Tucker Zullo also earned a scoring position for the Eagles in his AU debut, placing 27th (16:10.11). Senior Gerard D'Ambrosio III and junior Max Lustig rounded out the AU scorer in 34th and 36th, respectively.
- The women's team also featured freshmen in the top-five, starting with Lauren Wagner who paced the team with a 27th-place finish in 19:15.35.
- Junior Shelbi Wuss was second for the Eagles in 38th, followed by another freshman as Sarah Maple followed close behind in 40th.
- The Eagles' lone senior on the women's side, Arianna Lopez, was fourth on the squad in 50th while freshman Ana Keene closed out the AU scorers in 56th.
#AUXC MEN'S RESULTS
7. Aidan Caggiano, So. - 15:47.23
8. Russell Sullivan, Fr. - 15:47.61
27. Tucker Zullo, Fr. - 16:10.11
34. Gerard D'Ambrosio III, Sr. - 16:25.27
36. Max Lustig, Jr. - 16:26.47
54. Thomas Scartz, Fr. - 16:53.04
58. John Pagliaro, Jr. - 16:59.49
67. Malcolm Going, Fr. - 17:34.56
MEN'S TEAM RESULTS
1. Johns Hopkins - 24 points
2. Georgetown - 91
3. AMERICAN - 96
4. UMBC - 113
5. Mount St. Mary's - 118
6. George Washington - 129
7. Stevenson - 165
#AUXC WOMEN'S RESULTS
27. Lauren Wagner, Fr. - 19:15.35
38. Shelbi Wuss, Jr. - 19:36.97
40. Sarah Maple, Fr. - 19:39.38
50. Arianna Lopez, Sr. - 20:05.35
56. Ana Keene, Fr. - 20:18.47
57. Rachael Potter, Fr. - 20:18.85
64. Emily Neuner, Fr. - 20:37.71
67. Elise Hooker, So. - 20:43.56
72. Clare Hernandez, So. - 20:52.72
WOMEN'S TEAM RESULTS
1. Johns Hopkins - 38 points
2. Georgetown - 39
3. Maryland - 83
4. George Washington - 102
5. UMBC - 147
6. AMERICAN - 169
7. Mount St. Mary's - 210
8. Stevenson - 212