BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The American University cross country teams opened postseason competition on Saturday with the Patriot League Championships, hosted by Lehigh in Bethlehem, Pa.
Three Eagles highlighted the day's performances with All-Patriot League finishes, including two First Team honorees with senior Alaeldin Tirba and junior Adriana Hooks, along with juniors Matthew Rainey and Ben Doiron who both earned Second Team honors.
The men started the day's events with the team's highest finish since 2013, coming in fourth as a team behind senior Alaeldin Tirba, whose sixth-place finish was the highest individual crossing for the AU men since 2012.
This was the second consecutive meet that Tirba led the team after he crossed with a new personal record (PR) at Princeton two weeks ago (24:14.60). He landed just outside of that PR on Saturday morning with a final time of 24:25.59 on the 8,000-meter course.
Junior Matthew Rainey was next across the line with a new PR of 24:33.54 for 10th overall, followed by classmate Ben Doiron in 14th (24:50.29), senior Liam Purdy in 24th (25:16.18) and junior Tommy Sommer, who closed AU's scoring efforts in 36th (25:38.81).
The women were once again paced by junior Adriana Hooks, who improved on her ninth-place finish from 2016 with a fourth-place crossing on Saturday. Her final time of 21:20.05 was only six seconds off of her PR (21:14.60), achieved on the same course earlier this season. This is the highest finish for an AU woman since 2010 when Octavia Rinehardt placed fourth before going on to qualify for the NCAA Championship.
Freshman Shelbi Wuss was second across the line for the Eagles in 16th overall, just missing out on PL Rookie of the Year with a final time of 21:55.43. AU's scoring efforts were rounded out by freshman Nadia Stratton in 20th overall (22:03.46), senior Brianna Belo in 38th (22:26.12), and senior Jude Mabone, who earned a new PR of 22:47.50 to cross in 51st.
The Eagles will take next weekend off before returning to Lehigh on Friday, Nov. 10, for the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional Championships. For the latest on AU Cross Country, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
1. Army West Point (43 points)
2. Navy (47 points)
3. Boston University (79 points)
4. AMERICAN (88 points)
5. Bucknell (94 points)
6. Lehigh (126 points)
7. Holy Cross (230 points)
8. Lafayette (248 points)
9. Colgate (257 points)
10. Loyola (Md.) (305 points)
6. Alaeldin Tirba, Sr. – 24:25.59
10. Matthew Rainey, Jr. – 24:33.54 PR
14. Ben Doiron, Jr. – 24:50.29
24. Liam Purdy, Sr. – 25:16.18
36. Tommy Sommer, Jr. – 25:38.81
39. Sam Doud, Sr. – 25:42.35
61. Max Lustig, Fr. – 26:38.99
66. Gerard D'Ambrosio, So. – 26:48.80
1. Bucknell (58 points)
2. Army West Point (79 points)
3. Navy (88 points)
4. Lehigh (105 points)
5. Holy Cross (119 points)
6. AMERICAN (125 points)
7. Boston University (152 points)
8. Loyola (Md.) (240 points)
9. Lafayette (241 points)
10. Colgate (288 points)
4. Adriana Hooks, Jr. – 21:20.05
16. Shelbi Wuss, Fr. – 21:55.43
20. Nadia Stratton, Fr. – 22:03.46
38. Brianna Belo, Sr. – 22:26.12
51. Jude Mabone, Sr. – 22:47.50 PR
70. Arianna Lopez, So. – 23:15.32
84. Kaitlyn McTernan, So. – 23:58.64
90. Katelyn Deibler, So. – 24:15.69
92. Kassidy Ayres, Jr. – 24:25.02