ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The American University cross country team continued its 2017 campaign on Saturday with a quick trip to Annapolis for the Salty Dog Invitational (women) and Navy Invitational (men).
The women closed the meet with a second-place team finish behind Navy and Maryland, while the men finished second behind Navy.
The AU women opened up the day's competition with their first 6,000-meter run of the season. The Eagles had a strong start to the race, with the top five holding in tight with the lead pack until the leaders began to spread the field midway through the course.
In the end, it was junior Adriana Hooks back at the helm for AU with a seventh-place overall finish in 23:05.07. The freshman pairing of Shelbi Wuss and Nadia Stratton followed in ninth (23:12.47) and 11th (23:20.09) for their first career 6k races.
The men's varsity 8k closed out the day with juniors Matthew Rainey and Benjamin Doiron leading the squad in a tight battle to the line against the pairing of Kevin Murray and Jake Brophy from Navy. In the end, home course advantage proved to be the deciding factor, as Navy claimed the first two individual finishes, followed by Rainey in third overall (24:41.50) and Doiron in fourth (24:51.87).
Senior Alaeldin Tirba was third across the line for the Eagles in ninth overall (25:43.13), followed by senior Liam Purdy in 13th and senior Sam Doud in 16th to close out the team scoring with 45 points.
The Eagles will have a couple of weeks of recovery and training before hitting the course again on Friday, Sept. 29, at the Paul Short Invitational in Bethlehem, Pa.
For the latest on AU Cross Country, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
WOMEN'S 6K RESULTS
7. Adriana Hooks, Jr. - 23:05.07
9. Shelbi Wuss, Fr. - 23:12.47
11. Nadia Stratton, Fr. - 23:20.09
14. Kassidy Ayres, Jr. - 23:32.02
15. Brianna Belo, Sr. - 23:36.30
19. Arianna Lopez, So. - 23:48.00
36. Kaitlyn McTernan, So. - 24:41.19
47. Jude Mabone, Sr. - 25:15.10
52. Katelyn Deibler, So. - 25:26.32
MEN'S 8K RESULTS
3. Matthew Rainey, Jr. - 24:41.50
4. Benjamin Doiron, Jr. - 24:51.87
9. Alaeldin Tirba, Sr. - 25:43.13
14. Liam Purdy, Sr. - 25:51.44
16. Sam Doud, Sr. - 25:56.61
17. Chris Tibbetts, Fr. - 26:02.49
20. Tommy Sommer, Jr. - 26:17.72
24. Gerard D'Ambrosio, So. - 26:46.37
MEN'S JV 3.2-MILE RESULTS
2. Sam Smith, Fr. - 17:38.51
4. Max Lustig, Fr. - 17:51.03
6. John Pagliaro, Fr. - 17:57.72
8. Caleb Brown, So. - 18:02.90
14. James Belfatto, Sr. - 18:24.81
20. Justin Dignan, So. - 19:59.79