EMMITSBURG, Md. – A new era for the American University cross country and track program kicked off on Friday, as the cross country teams had an exciting start at the Mount St. Mary's 5k Duals under new head coach, Sean Graham.
"We are really happy with the season opener," Graham said. "Clearly both the men and women got good work in over the summer. This is a good place to start, knowing full well it's just the start. Now we go back to work."
The AU men swept the team results, 4-0, beating out George Washington, Franklin Pierce, Mount St. Mary's and UMBC in the dual scores. The women emerged with a 5-1 tally after beating George Washington in a tiebreaker, as well as Franklin Pierce, Maryland, Mount St. Mary's and UMBC. AU's only loss on the women's side came to Navy, who beat the Eagles 21-39.
The men had some big performances to get the day started, as all five scorers for the Eagles finished in the top ten of the field. Leading the way for the pack was a strong 1-2-3 punch starting with junior Ben Doiron who claimed his first career overall win in 15:16.55. Junior Matthew Rainey (15:23.71) closed in second, followed by senior Alaeldin Tirba (15:28.71) in third, senior Liam Purdy (15:37.40) in seventh and junior Tommy Sommer (15:41.72) in ninth.
On the women's side, junior Adriana Hooks was back at the helm for the Eagles with a third-place overall finish in 18:14.16. Sophomore Arianna Lopez was not far behind, closing in 18:28.65 for eighth in the field.
A pair of freshmen also made their way onto the scoresheet, as Shelbi Wuss and Nadia Stratton closed in 13th and 15th overall, respectively, while junior Kassidy Ayres finished out the scoring efforts for AU with a 23rd place crossing.
The Eagles will be back next weekend with the men's Navy Invitational and the women's Salty Dog Invitational in Annapolis, Md., on Saturday. For the latest on AU Cross Country, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.
#AUXC RESULTS – MEN
1. Ben Doiron, Jr. – 15:16.55
2. Matthew Rainey, Jr. – 15:23.71
3. Alaeldin Tirba, Sr. – 15:28.71
7. Liam Purdy, Sr. – 15:37.40
9. Tommy Sommer, Jr. – 15:41.72
21. Samuel Doud, Sr. – 15:57.61
22. Gerard D'Ambrosio, So. – 16:02.44
41. Caleb Brown, So. – 16:36.82
43. Max Lustig, Fr. – 16:42.53
45. John Pagliaro, Fr. – 16:46.35
46. Sam Smith, Fr. – 16:47.53
53. Jim Belfatto, Sr. – 17:09.53
63. Faolan Coogan-Pluck, So. – 17:45.33
75. Justin Dignan, So. – 18:42.31
#AUXC RESULTS – WOMEN
3. Adriana Hooks, Jr. – 18:14.16
8. Arianna Lopez, So. – 18:28.65
13. Shelbi Wuss, Fr. – 18:39.76
15. Nadia Stratton, Fr. – 18:46.97
23. Kassidy Ayres, Jr. – 19:01.88
24. Brianna Belo, Sr. – 19:04.94
42. Kaitlyn McTernan – 19:28.08
50. Katelyn Deibler, So. – 19:44.13
68. Jude Mabone, Sr. – 20:32.97