WASHINGTON - American University track & field seniors Adriana Hooks and Liam Purdy will take to the track for two of the biggest meets of the outdoor season this weekend as they round out the regular season schedule at the 125th running of the historic Penn Relays, and the UVA Grand Prix.
- Adriana Hooks will open the weekend at the Penn Relays with the women's 10,000-meter run at 10:20 p.m. on Thursday, April 25.
- The third-fastest 10k female in AU history with her personal record (PR) of 35:45.81, Hooks will face another member of the program record book with Hall of Famer Keira (Carlstrom) D'Amato. D'Amato graduated in 2006 as the most decorated runner in AU history with four All-America honors, 11 Patriot League individual titles, and still holds and second-fastest 10k time in program history (34:14.97). She currently runs for the Potomac River Running club.
- Hooks enters the meet with one 10k already under her belt this season. She placed fourth at the Colonial Relays earlier in April (36:02.57) before hitting a new PR in the 1500m a week later at the George Mason Spring Invitational (4:38.28).
- Liam Purdy will round out the weekend in Charlottesville with the UVA Grand Prix on Saturday. One of the top male mid-distance runners in program history, Purdy will look to set himself apart in the record books as he chases down the 12-year-old program record, held by Dustin Emrani since 2007 (1:46.92).
- Purdy enters the weekend off a thrilling PR during the George Mason Spring Invitational where he became only the second AU runner to ever break 1:50 in the 800m with a 1:49.95 career-best. Already tied for the second-fastest 800m time in program history after his 1:50.28 finish earlier this season, that performance gave him sole ownership of the No. 2 spot in the AU record books.
- He continues to lead the Patriot League with his 1:49.95 PR and is within qualification into the NCAA Championship Preliminary Round with a No. 35 ranking in the east region.
The Eagles will travel to Worcester, Mass., next week for the Patriot League Outdoor Track & Field Championships, hosted by Holy Cross on Friday and Saturday (May 3-4).
For the latest on American University Track & Field, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_TrackXC.